Lowered Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have Bilstein 4600. ZW7 comes with the Nivomat shocks, which are really firm, so the springs are a little soft. You can't use non Nivomat shocks with the Nivomat springs, if you do then you'll be experiencing the exact conditions you're having now. Same thing happened to me until I used lowering springs. It was really scary driving on the highway. It was like someone was pushing it side to side in the back.
Ok so the bilstein 4600 would go good with the 4 inch lowering spring my Tahoe has in the rear ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 378724

Thanks I took it to a shop and was told that my sway bar needs to be parallel to the floor and mine at the moment is towards the floor

Getting shorter end links in the rear to level the bar would increase its effectiveness. How about the front? That's where the rear story lies when it comes to excessive sway. But, also with the rear, the springs could be too soft. When driving straight and you hit a bump, does the rear feel cushy?

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate it , I didn’t know any of this and just trying to get it to ride well on the highway

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Getting shorter end links in the rear to level the bar would increase its effectiveness. How about the front? That's where the rear story lies when it comes to excessive sway. But, also with the rear, the springs could be too soft. When driving straight and you hit a bump, does the rear feel cushy?
Worked on my 3" drop. Make sure you use the drop brackets for the shocks.
I appreciate it , im going to look into those bilsteins . Did you use the shorter rear sway bar links as well ?

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The front doesn’t feel bad , the front is lowered an inch . In the rear it feels as if there is no shock , it makes sense now that tonyrodz explained it to me , how the shocks that are on it right now are no good , I’m going to get the bilsteins.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the front sway bar links and make sure they're in place and in good condition. Also the front jounce stops need to be contacting the lower control arms.

Lots of people make the mistake of changing the ZW7 suspension by replacing the Nivomat shocks (the G65 RPO code) with standard shocks, and without going to a firmer spring. Makes things really squirrely.

@Tonyrodz that driver's side parking brake cable should be under the sway bar (same as the passenger cable there). Like this:

Nivomat shock full.jpg

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the front sway bar links and make sure they're in place and in good condition. Also the front jounce stops need to be contacting the lower control arms.

Lots of people make the mistake of changing the ZW7 suspension by replacing the Nivomat shocks (the G65 RPO code) with standard shocks, and without going to a firmer spring. Makes things really squirrely.

@Tonyrodz that driver's side parking brake cable should be under the sway bar (same as the passenger cable there). Like this:

View attachment 378820
Ok I recently bought this Tahoe , it has a 4 inch drop in the rear , do you think as long as I get the correct shock it would get rid of the moving side to side when I’m at around 65 mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts