Lowered Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe 2wd I just bought , according to previous owner it was lowered on the rear , and Tahoe rolls side to side on freeway really bad , any one have that problem before ?

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swaybar bushings are a known problem but it could be something else especially if it’s really bad I would go to a place like big brand tire and Atleast mine will give a free or cheap inspection you could be in for as little as sway bar bushings or all new rear suspension.

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Swaybar bushings are a known problem but it could be something else especially if it’s really bad I would go to a place like big brand tire and Atleast mine will give a free or cheap inspection you could be in for as little as sway bar bushings or all new rear suspension.
Thank you , previous owner told me it was lowered 1 up front and 4 in the rear

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @LordWayback stated above, get it checked out by a local quality repair shop, just to see if there are any suspension-related issues (particularly bushings and links conditions) that exist that can be identified and repaired/replaced.

If everything checks out as OK, consider purchasing a set of Hellwig sway bars for your truck. They are pricey, but they will eliminate any and all body roll.

Many folks on this Forum have lowered their trucks, and they will chime in regarding handling characteristics changes after lowering the truck.

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
648199EA-5546-4D21-ABCB-D5D8A41AE125.jpeg
As @LordWayback stated above, get it checked out by a local quality repair shop, just to see if there are any suspension-related issues (particularly bushings and links conditions) that exist that can be identified and repaired/replaced.

If everything checks out as OK, consider purchasing a set of Hellwig sway bars for your truck. They are pricey, but they will eliminate any and all body roll.

Many folks on this Forum have lowered their trucks, and they will chime in regarding handling characteristics changes after lowering the truck.
Thanks I took it to a shop and was told that my sway bar needs to be parallel to the floor and mine at the moment is towards the floor

Attachments

• 67D12417-6975-481B-A99F-38B68E503222.jpeg
    67D12417-6975-481B-A99F-38B68E503222.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 13

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
2nd part of your problem are those shocks. I had them on for maybe a week or 2 then tossed them in the garbage. They suck. Do you have ZW7 in your rpo codes?

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2nd part of your problem are those shocks. I had them on for maybe a week or 2 then tossed them in the garbage. They suck. Do you have ZW7 in your rpo codes?
Yeah I do have the zw7 , what shocks did you go with ?

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The part number for these is 344045 , and when I look them up on autozone it gives me a different one . If it has shock extenders can I still use the Oem length shocks ?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah I do have the zw7 , what shocks did you go with ?
I have Bilstein 4600. ZW7 comes with the Nivomat shocks, which are really firm, so the springs are a little soft. You can't use non Nivomat shocks with the Nivomat springs, if you do then you'll be experiencing the exact conditions you're having now. Same thing happened to me until I used lowering springs. It was really scary driving on the highway. It was like someone was pushing it side to side in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh