Low voltage, no crank or start like no power to starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

travo87

Reaction score
So there is a couple questions I have but first here's the issue that I am having. When I try to start it it only shows like 10 10.5 volts on the charge indicator gage on the dash but battery reads 12.13 volts and when I go to start it all the dash lights radio just cut out and off and then there isn't nothing(as I'm trying to start the truck) but sometimes the horn goes off like an alarm but my horn don't work when you push it. Sometimes I'll get lucky and it'll turn over but my main issue is that I need to replace the flex plate cause my starter chewed up the old one. I've replaced the coil ignition coil pickup ignition control module plugs wires rotor and cap now the starter battery and started bolts I've looked for a short or grounded wire under the dash and by the under hood box and I've replaced the fuel pump relay no blown fuses or anything so I'm at the point I just ens t to blow it up but I cant I need this truck it's my money maker

OP
OP
travo87

travo87

Reaction score
Thanks but it was the ground on the engine. Buddy moved it from the intake to the side of engine where it was covered by paint so I just cleaned it up and bam but since then it still hasn't started. So I've replaced the distributor the other day and made sure it was timed correctly. But nothing no spark still. Like I take the number one spark plug out and put it on the wire and ground it out on the block and I don't get nothing the coil distributor plugs and wires and battery for all brand new and everything inside the distributor brand new too

OP
OP
travo87

travo87

Reaction score
P. S. This is a 95 so no crank shaft position sensor. How about the oil pressure switch?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P. S. This is a 95 so no crank shaft position sensor. How about the oil pressure switch?
How about them oil pressure switches? Do you have power to the primary side of the coil? Do you have spark at the coil terminal. Do you have a test light? Connect test light to - side of coil, there should be a connector there for the tach. Test light connected to - battery probe touching - side of coil primary crank the engine and the test light should blink on and off. If you have power at the primary and no blinky it's in the distributor. If it goes blinky but no spark at coil it's a bad coil.

OP
OP
travo87

travo87

Reaction score
How about them oil pressure switches? Do you have power to the primary side of the coil? Do you have spark at the coil terminal. Do you have a test light? Connect test light to - side of coil, there should be a connector there for the tach. Test light connected to - battery probe touching - side of coil primary crank the engine and the test light should blink on and off. If you have power at the primary and no blinky it's in the distributor. If it goes blinky but no spark at coil it's a bad coil.

OP
OP
travo87

travo87

Reaction score
Heu so is that link everyone is talking about for the timing I found it next to the pcm or ecu right behind the glove box

OP
OP
travo87

travo87

Reaction score
I have read it a couple times now it's 1368 pages I also have a bunch of other manuals and repair guides but I'm not getting anything unless it's the computer the pcm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts