Low Oil Pressure Warning! - Any Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Yukon

Reaction score
Wow your lucky you shut it down..... I was going to tell you to check your filter..... But What clogged the filter ????

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks;
First post here, but I bought an '07 Yukon SLT with the 5.3 about 2 months ago, 75 000 km on it, last weekend I was idling in a parking lot when the Low Oil Pressure alarm came on on the dash, with the oil light and a zero indication on the oil pressure gauge. I shut it down, checked the oil - lots there, nothing pissing out the bottom of the engine, went to start it again and nothing. Got a boost and the oil alarm came on again just getting into the driveway.
No strange engine noises or anything (not that you could hear it with the chime ringing in your ear), so I figured that a weak battery screwing with the electrical system may have been the culprit, so I got myself a new battery and installed it earlier this week, and it has been fine until tonight..

When you start it the oil pressure goes up to about 40-50 psi, but then slowly falls until you are at 0. No temperature change on the gauge either.

Anybody have any experience with this problem?

I am suspecting some sort of sensor, what do you guys think?

Up here in Canada we have the 5 yr/160 000 km power train warranty, so I think any issues with the engine or oil pressure should be covered.. Still hate to take it to the dealer...

Thanks for answers or help in advance!
Rob
I went through the same thing. Oil pump sensor going off. They said it was the cheap filter that was on. That I needed to use Delco filters because it has a plug on it, that others don't have. The problem with that was. They changed the oil for me. So go figure

chris_m

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Low oil pressure warning!

Apparently this is very common to that model... it happen to me already twice ( I have 2008 hybrid for last two years). First time was after buying and second just last week! I was using different filters over this time and have to say that whenever I used 10-minut oil change shop that would happen. When I use dealership or my own filter (with valve) and synthetic oil - that was not a case even after oil life went down to 0% (it happen once, on the long drive when I knew I'm going to change oil and make major maintenance in US shop).
I was thinking that part of the problem is the size of motor vs. size of the filter. This filter is half the size for a smaller engine I have on BMW 740 (4,4 ltr) and looks like the one I'm using on old Chevy Ventura (3.6 ltr).
Yukon takes 5.7 ltr of oil last time I changed - this is not a lot for 6 ltr engine, knowing engineering I can insure everyone that GMC will never admitt that they design to small filter ;D)
Sooo - change oil and filter and dont worry about it at all - GMC/Chevy should program warning to display oil change @ 15% of life, but they didnt do it.

greg jenkins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive experienced the same problems. the 07 Yukon is holding up well with 125,000 miles. it does use a quart of oil every 2,000 miles, which is annoying. No leaks. At about 75,000 miles the low oil message came on and, for the most part stayed on. Changing the switch between the intake and the firewall was a challenge, but do-able. Thanks for the advice, guys. But that didn't help. Someone on the forum told us there was another sensor on the oil pan near the drain plug. A milky white plastic nut with a wire clipped to it which I removed in minutes with a 1 1/8 deep well socket, lost a little oil, and for 24 bucks my problem is solved. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Germanshop24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there, I bought a 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid 2 weeks ago. So far a great Truck.
However, last weekend during a 350 mile trip, after about 200 miles we were driving on the freeway, when the oil pressure gauge slowly went down. Below 40, the engine did not go into V4 anymore. It went down to about 10, then the check Engine Light came on and also the Oil Pressure Warning message. I pulled over, checked the oil level - everything was fine. After restarting the engine, everything was back to normal for a few miles - then the same problem.
I already changed the oil pressure sending unit, but the problem is still there. I read, that it could be just a wrong oil filter... Will change this the next couple of days. Any other idea?

Steven

Germanshop24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the oil change yesterday and so far, everything is fine. The filter I removed did not have any bypass valve, so I guess it was a cheap one. I bought a wix (napa gold) with valve and mobil1 full snythetic oil 5W-30.
pressure is now higher, I think because of the better oil. My gauge shows 50-65 and it goes down a little bit when the engine is warmed up.

Jackson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had the same issue on my 08 Suburban tonight. Scared me a little as the wife called and told me the low oil pressure alarm was going off. I told her to shut it down and restart. Pressure went up, but slowly went down. Luckily, she was a mile from the house. After restarting, I goes up but slowly drops. Going to change the filter and oil and see what happens.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had the same issue on my 08 Suburban tonight. Scared me a little as the wife called and told me the low oil pressure alarm was going off. I told her to shut it down and restart. Pressure went up, but slowly went down. Luckily, she was a mile from the house. After restarting, I goes up but slowly drops. Going to change the filter and oil and see what happens.

Just an FYI....an oil change will probably fix the issue for a while but it will come back. I'm currently trouble shooting the same issue on my '08. When was the last time you changed your oil prior to this issue today?

Jackson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an FYI....an oil change will probably fix the issue for a while but it will come back. I'm currently trouble shooting the same issue on my '08. When was the last time you changed your oil prior to this issue today?

Just bought the vehicle a few weeks ago. Sticker says it was changed and still have 2500 miles to go before it is due. Of course they gave me a 2000 mile warranty, which is out by about 250 miles. Only has 56000 miles on the clock. Not what I was wanting to hear. Any ideas what would cause it. I'm assuming the filter getting clogged. I'm going to have the wife take it straight to the shop in the morning and get the oil changed. I'll cut open the filter and see what's going on. Might even get an oil analysis done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv