Low oil pressure but no noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leonard country

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 04 yukon with 5.3 was told last owner tried everything to get rid of low oil pressure nothing helped. The low pressure warning is on but truck has no valve rattle ticking or knocking this is the newest thing I've ever owned and only thing with 5.3 always been a 350 guy any ideas

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have a 04 yukon with 5.3 was told last owner tried everything to get rid of low oil pressure nothing helped. The low pressure warning is on but truck has no valve rattle ticking or knocking this is the newest thing I've ever owned and only thing with 5.3 always been a 350 guy any ideas
Did you confirm oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did he replace the camshaft bearings? Does the oil pressure fluctuate at all?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post up some details of the rig: mileage, etc., and a list of what "tried everything" means. What repairs or tests have been done?

Had a recent oil report by, say, Blackstone Labs or somewhere else?

Dbeal82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my 6.0L. I changed oil pressure sensor and screen. Truck runs fine now. If that doesn't work, I have heard that it could be a bad o-ring on oil pick up tube.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my 6.0L. I changed oil pressure sensor and screen. Truck runs fine now. If that doesn't work, I have heard that it could be a bad o-ring on oil pick up tube.

Which is why I requested more detail. Without knowing what's been done, we can toss all sorts of suggestions out there. Need more info if help is wanted.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the oil pressure gauge is wrong. If there is one thing a GM engine wont tolerate, its low oil pressure. Youll spin a rod or main bearing or throw a rod right out of the side of the block with low oil pressure. The valvetrain would sound like a sewing machine before it got that bad. Its not uncommon for the before mentioned screen to get plugged up at the oil pressure sending unit. Quick and easy check. Another common problem is incorrectly installed or just old and split oring on the oil pickup tube. Or of course a worn out oil pump.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods