Low oil? ‘14 Tahoe 166k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CBFD1ADF-6B02-49CD-ACCF-1F8B8372E6DC.jpeg
Does my oil look low? It seems to reach the 4th whole and stops. I was on maybe a 2-4° grade/slope in my driveway. I’m also concerned cause there’s a whole lawsuit for excessive oil consumption in these models. I’m about close to 2k since my last oil change

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally the oil is a solid consistency on the stick, I wouldn't consider that reading a good one. If you are indeed down a quart in 2K you really don't have a problem that anyone would consider bad with that many miles. At nine years old you don't have a car in the fight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally the oil is a solid consistency on the stick, I wouldn't consider that reading a good one. If you are indeed down a quart in 2K you really don't have a problem that anyone would consider bad with that many miles. At nine years old you don't have a car in the fight.
So do I top it off or just leave it till next change? And would a bad oil pressure switch cause a bad reading?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks full to me. Just because there is a lawsuit doesn't mean it's legit or applies to you. Oil looks pretty good for 2K on it.

What is your OCI? 5K?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks full to me. Just because there is a lawsuit doesn't mean it's legit or applies to you. Oil looks pretty good for 2K on it.

What is your OCI? 5K?
I read 7.5k but probably should do it every 5k

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil looks full and clear to me, if the hashmark area is completely covered with oil you are good, if there is no oil on the hashmark you are not good.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil looks full and clear to me, if the hashmark area is completely covered with oil you are good, if there is no oil on the hashmark you are not good.
So if it’s a bit under the full line, but still in the hash marks is it ok? Halfway through my oil life estimate and it’s probably a dark amber color? Not black though