Low oil? ‘14 Tahoe 166k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely can tell the difference, but it doesn't have anything todo wit the oil being used up.
The feel difference is impurities being picked up by the oil.
Sure it does, the lubricity is greatly diminished over time. Do the oil analysis' even measure for that?

Rub some clean and dirty oil between your fingers sometime and note how little of the old stuff is left compared to the new.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole report is that and more.

Maybe someone needs to start a "used oil FEEL analysis" business?
The measure viscosity but do they measure film strength? Not on my Blackstone reports.

Let me know your thoughts on this @donjetman and @steiny93

A long time ago I managed a Jiffy Lube and I remember how used oil would virtually disappear if you rubbed a drop between your fingers and new oil would not, just move around. I still note how much extra pep our engines have right after an oil change compared to when the oil has 4K or more miles on it. These are general observations, meaning, no particular car or oil.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The measure viscosity but do they measure film strength? Not on my Blackstone reports.

Let me know your thoughts on this @donjetman and @steiny93

A long time ago I managed a Jiffy Lube and I remember how used oil would virtually disappear if you rubbed a drop between your fingers and new oil would not, just move around. I still note how much extra pep our engines have right after an oil change compared to when the oil has 4K or more miles on it. These are general observations, meaning, no particular car or oil.
My suggestion is to spend time learning at BITOG forum.

A UOA report shows the results of film strength, or the lack thereof, and many other properties.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there was a lack of film strength the wear metals would reflect such.
Ok, I get what you are saying now. Would you agree that there is a significant difference in lubricity between new oil and oil that has 5K miles on it? Maybe not enough for my assertion that it is dead, but noticeable enough to feel the difference between ones fingers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos