Low compression #4 cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1slohoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 and its had a SES code for a while now and its been getting progressivly worse. Misfire on #4 cylinder.I did the usual tune up which didnt help. I ran a compression check and all cylinders other than #4 were 170-180. #4 was 125. I shot some oil in the cylinder and tried it again , didnt move much. Question is where/what should I look at first? It has 123K on it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
That forth cylinder is below the threshhold difference compared to the others but if adding a little oil did not improve it then you can probably eliminate a ring problem. That leaves you with a valve or head gasket problem. Can you do a leakdown test? This will help narrow it down short of taking the head off. Actually if either of those problems exist its got to come off anyway so go for it and have a machine shop inspect your head if you don't find a bad gasket.

Dlong30

Reaction score
i agree... most likely a valve. a gasket would usually affect more than one cylinder. guess its time to pull the head!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree... most likely a valve. a gasket would usually affect more than one cylinder. guess its time to pull the head!

Only if scorched between the two adjacent cylinders ... I've sent them pop outwards, inwards and even into the water passages. A leak down test should tell you where it's leaking too ...

OP
OP

1slohoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to pull the valve cover and do the leak down test this weekend..I'm hoping for a broken spring but anticpating the worst.
Thx

OP
OP

1slohoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I was able to run some more tests and once we put air into the #4 cylinder it came right back out the intake..Looks like a bad intake valve..It will be coming apart in a week or two..

OP
OP

1slohoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pulled the head off and it was cracked near the valve. Its back together and runs great now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401