Loving my E85 right now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are running E85 almost 100% of the time are you guys adding any fuel additives?

Something like this:

I ask because I've been running E85 pretty consistently for over a year (in that time frame maybe 4-5 tanks of 93). I have experienced a few symptoms specifically on start up during the winter and colder mornings here in Ohio.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'E85', mathematically, is never E85.
In the summer, it can be as much as 83% ethanol.
In the winter, it can be as little as 51% ethanol.

I wonder how the gasoline additives behave in varying proportions of ethanol?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are running E85 almost 100% of the time are you guys adding any fuel additives?

Something like this:

I ask because I've been running E85 pretty consistently for over a year (in that time frame maybe 4-5 tanks of 93). I have experienced a few symptoms specifically on start up during the winter and colder mornings here in Ohio.

I've been running it exclusively for about a year now. I'll pour a can of Berryman's B12 in every couple of months when I think about it just for the hell of it. Hard starts/extended cranking and rougher cold start idle are normal with E85 in cold weather. We don't have enough cold weather here for that to even be a factor. My E85 sources here are consistently ~62-65% actual alcohol content.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Something like this:

Don't need the additives. Hard start in cold weather is normal with E85. It's not due to a problem with the fuel or your car, just the nature of the beast (E85).

Mine will do it on the first remote start when it is in the 50s or colder but not the second.

If yours performs worse, you might think about diluting the E85 with some gasoline, like 50/50, 60/40, whatever.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
I’ve been running exclusively E85 for several months now. I bought a small tester kit and keep it in the glovebox. My local Speedway station E85 tests at 80%!

I did notice a little over 15% decrease in fuel mileage, but I had my 5.3 professionally tuned for both fuel maps.

What seems to kill my gauge-reported fuel mileage reading is remote starting and letting the vehicle idle, lol.

I’m in the upper midwest and only noticed the longer start crank with the first tankful. The advanced timing maps on E85 can make it take some extra spins to start in cold weather.

I love the fact that I’m not carbon-ing up my intake passages or valves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts