loud fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96GMCYukonGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fuel pump on my yukon is like super loudany ideas why this is? it juat started doing this

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its on borrowed time.

1. Save up some money.
2. Run your tank close to empty.
3. Drop the tank and replace the pump.
4. Replace the fuel filter.

Because of Murphy's law the next time you fill up the tank IT WILL FAIL.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets loud when I get below half tank. This has been going on for over a year.

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Mine ran loud for 4 years from the day I got the truck til.the day I sold it however ide suggest if it just happened then that indeed is a sign she is on her way out ...now my 96 I just bought doesn't make a sound

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fuel pump on my yukon is like super loudany ideas why this is? it juat started doing this

It was quiet before? GM fuel pumps were known to be noisy in the 90's, my dad had a 96 2wd with the 5.0l and you could hear that thing across the yard!

If it just recently got loud, it's on it's dying breath, do what fire730 says. The factory part will run you about $300-350, auto store knockoffs a bit less, and they're not hard to do... as long as the tank is nearly empty...:emotions122:

If it does quit on you, you can give the tank a whap with a rubber mallet or 2x4 (classy I know) and that will get it moving again, until you shut it off. The pumps tend to develop a flat spot on the motor bushing and when it stops at that point, it'll stall and not go again, but hitting it will move it enough to get it going.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree what fire730 said, do not test murphy's law!

But I'd definitely replace it as soon as I could, sounds like its on its last breath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpellegrino