Loud Engine Noise... Maybe Serious Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwing

Reaction score
I have an '07 Tahoe LT 2wd with the 5.3. Bought it 2 years ago with 130k, have 194k now. Earlier this year (march or april) my wife was driving it to work daily and started complaining of a banging noise when she accelerated. I drove it and it sounded like a rough AC compressor clutch, so i had her kick it on and off while i watched the clutch, at which point I noticed the 2-3 inches of travel the engine had on RPM change. Motor mounts were TOAST.

Fast foward to 2 weeks ago, I FINALLY replaced the motor mounts. That job is NOT for the faint of heart or weak of back. Made a world of difference (duh). No shimmy, shake, or vibration. But I'll be darned if that banging sound ain't still there.

However, now that the motor isn't doing riverdance, I have a terrifying suspicion of what it is. I'm not going to share my suspicion, I'll just list the symptoms and let you all judge it.

It's typically on acceleration, but not always. Sometimes it does it at idle. Usually within the first 10-15 minutes of running, but sometimes later. It's a banging sound, definately under the hood. When it makes the sound, the engine noticably shakes and hesitates like a BAD missfire, but just briefly. The other day i went to pull off from a light and it made the sound machine gun style and I had NO power until the sound/shake stopped.

The sound is almost exactly like the sound of a 2lb sledge on a 1/8" walled 2" steel pipe laid against concrete. Metallic, loud, and almost hollow sounding.

So give me your thoughts based on that or at least some directed questions. I'm afraid saying more at this stage before you opinions can start forming would negate open minded responses.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Tahoe LT 2wd with the 5.3. Bought it 2 years ago with 130k, have 194k now. Earlier this year (march or april) my wife was driving it to work daily and started complaining of a banging noise when she accelerated. I drove it and it sounded like a rough AC compressor clutch, so i had her kick it on and off while i watched the clutch, at which point I noticed the 2-3 inches of travel the engine had on RPM change. Motor mounts were TOAST.

Fast foward to 2 weeks ago, I FINALLY replaced the motor mounts. That job is NOT for the faint of heart or weak of back. Made a world of difference (duh). No shimmy, shake, or vibration. But I'll be darned if that banging sound ain't still there.

However, now that the motor isn't doing riverdance, I have a terrifying suspicion of what it is. I'm not going to share my suspicion, I'll just list the symptoms and let you all judge it.

It's typically on acceleration, but not always. Sometimes it does it at idle. Usually within the first 10-15 minutes of running, but sometimes later. It's a banging sound, definately under the hood. When it makes the sound, the engine noticably shakes and hesitates like a BAD missfire, but just briefly. The other day i went to pull off from a light and it made the sound machine gun style and I had NO power until the sound/shake stopped.

The sound is almost exactly like the sound of a 2lb sledge on a 1/8" walled 2" steel pipe laid against concrete. Metallic, loud, and almost hollow sounding.

So give me your thoughts based on that or at least some directed questions. I'm afraid saying more at this stage before you opinions can start forming would negate open minded responses.
no check engine light?

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
that's not good, sounds like time for a compression test
I have no problem running a compression test. That's actually reasonable. What scares me is the end game. What is your thought in going that direction?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I would check the torque converter to flywheel bolts.

Had a big block one time that the torque converter bolts loosened up on and when you would first start it in the morning it sounded like it had a rod knocking but after it warmed up the sound went away.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem running a compression test. That's actually reasonable. What scares me is the end game. What is your thought in going that direction?
well I don't know, if your sure that it is the engine and it's loosing power and making a slapping noise, but yet no CEL, then I would do a compression test and maybe pickup one of those cheapy inspection camera's at harbor freight and start digging deeper, any metal fragments in the oil? can you take a video of the sound from the engine compartment and post it up? some engine noise is normal and some is not, my 03 Silverado has a tick that comes and goes it may start up and idle just fine for a few minutes and then begin to tick tick tick, rev it and it goes away till it idles down and it comes back, it has done it for years, lately it has stopped doing it the last 2-3 oil changes, it's just a noisy lifter and it's fairly common the engine runs fine and it's not worth tearing it down to eliminate.

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
The flywheel bolts are an interesting thought. Although I feel like that would either be rythmic or more consistant (as in I could get it to perform on demand, which I can't).

It's definately not a lifter type noise. I can rule that out right away. I know that noise.

The only thing I could think of in the timing set that would make a noise like this would be a couple missing teeth and the chain catching up, which would puke rods all over the pavement as soon as it happened. It's just too loud for that possibility.

I guess I'll dive into the other symptoms now that flirst blush is out of the way...

I have oil pressure issues going on too. Oil pressure is riding at 40 (straight up, in the middle) going down the freeway. Every once in a while it jumps to the 3/4 mark where it usually rides, but then drops back to halfway. It has done this twice before. The first time was shortly after we bought it. That wound up being a bad pressure sensor.

The second time i had to run a gunk treatment on the oil change to get it to normalize. Now that it's back, my fear is that there's some nasty stuff in my oil (i just did an oil change with the motor mounts).

What I'm getting at is that it almost sounds and feels like I've got a valve sticking open on #8 and slapping the piston.

I was hoping there was some common issue on the 5.3 that could make this easy. I've got 20 years worth of countless 5.7's under my belt, but this is only my second 5.3. I was basically grasping at straws.

I guess it's time to grab a scope, pull the worst plug on the truck to get to, and dive in.

Bummer :(

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flywheel bolts are an interesting thought. Although I feel like that would either be rythmic or more consistant (as in I could get it to perform on demand, which I can't).

It's definately not a lifter type noise. I can rule that out right away. I know that noise.

The only thing I could think of in the timing set that would make a noise like this would be a couple missing teeth and the chain catching up, which would puke rods all over the pavement as soon as it happened. It's just too loud for that possibility.

I guess I'll dive into the other symptoms now that flirst blush is out of the way...

I have oil pressure issues going on too. Oil pressure is riding at 40 (straight up, in the middle) going down the freeway. Every once in a while it jumps to the 3/4 mark where it usually rides, but then drops back to halfway. It has done this twice before. The first time was shortly after we bought it. That wound up being a bad pressure sensor.

The second time i had to run a gunk treatment on the oil change to get it to normalize. Now that it's back, my fear is that there's some nasty stuff in my oil (i just did an oil change with the motor mounts).

What I'm getting at is that it almost sounds and feels like I've got a valve sticking open on #8 and slapping the piston.

I was hoping there was some common issue on the 5.3 that could make this easy. I've got 20 years worth of countless 5.7's under my belt, but this is only my second 5.3. I was basically grasping at straws.

I guess it's time to grab a scope, pull the worst plug on the truck to get to, and dive in.

Bummer :(
sometimes a valve spring may break, it's known the happen on the engines with v4 mode, not sure of that is a feature on the 07?, they can be fixed by using air pressure in the plug hole which keeps the valve lifted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE