Lost my beloved 2001 to Hurrican Ian

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonBill

Reaction score
My 2001 Yukon SLT 4WD with Autoride and Denali wheels was a special order for me. She was 22 years old and 124K on the clock. Truck was black with light interior. There was not a scratch or a door ding. Paint and Interior looked as new.
In 22 years the only repair I did was to replace the fuel gauge sender. There we no oil leaks, It did not use any oil and still ran
as good as the day I brought home. I did all repairs and maintenance myself. I was in Ca. at the time the storm hit Florida so there was nothing I could do to save her. She ended up in 12 feet of salt water and actually floated out of my garage for about 150 feet. I arrived in Florida 10 days later and found the center console and door panels full of water. The water inside only reached the top of the console. The dipstick was about 1.5 inches over the fill mark. Insurance declared the truck a total loss. I have been looking for a replacement but have found it is nearly impossible to replace a vehicle like that.

Bill D

Reaction score
My 2001 Yukon SLT 4WD with Autoride and Denali wheels was a special order for me. She was 22 years old and 124K on the clock. Truck was black with light interior. There was not a scratch or a door ding. Paint and Interior looked as new.
In 22 years the only repair I did was to replace the fuel gauge sender. There we no oil leaks, It did not use any oil and still ran
as good as the day I brought home. I did all repairs and maintenance myself. I was in Ca. at the time the storm hit Florida so there was nothing I could do to save her. She ended up in 12 feet of salt water and actually floated out of my garage for about 150 feet. I arrived in Florida 10 days later and found the center console and door panels full of water. The water inside only reached the top of the console. The dipstick was about 1.5 inches over the fill mark. Insurance declared the truck a total loss. I have been looking for a replacement but have found it is nearly impossible to replace a vehicle like that.

Sorry to hear. Do you receive Hemings motor news daily emails? There are cherry early GM 2000’s trucks listed from time to time that could make your day. There were 20 pages of trucks listed today so here’s just the first extremely cherry example of a 1996 GM Suburban…almost perfect!

OP
OP
Y

YukonBill

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Being a retired diesel mechanic and doing all the maintenance and repairs over the years I feel like I had a bond with that Yukon. I am also an owner of some classic cars. Funny how we get attached our vehicles.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Being a retired diesel mechanic and doing all the maintenance and repairs over the years I feel like I had a bond with that Yukon. I am also an owner of some classic cars. Funny how we get attached our vehicles.
Even though insurance claimed it a total loss were you not offered to keep it.Illinois i could of kept it for pennies on the dollar.Who know what you might of had to do but i would of kept it and did it all myself anyway.Yes it becaomes a salvage title but its yours again and with proper drain and refill of everything and cleaning electrical connections for weeks it might be just fine.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Ft Myers and the majority of these vehicle were hauled by Coparts. Thery are in fields either in Clewiston or Port Charlotte and are available to be purchased via online auction to out of state buyers only with salvage titles. We have seen hundreds hauled from our location. Some were swamped and some it barely touched the floor pan. We tried to find a few that we knew were drivable and would be good buys, but they never surfaced. We think the drivers know the good ones and they get put to the side for "Better deals" to certain buyers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094