Loose steering still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are replacing the gear box go ahead and find yourself one of these to remove the pitman arm. For the idler arm you can use the same thing or go to autozone and ask to use their pitman arm puller from their loan a tool and use it on the idler arm. The one most autozones keep on hand will not fit onto the bottom of the pitman arm, the right puller can be had if ordered at carquest, it is a similar design to the one at autozone, but smaller with a center bolt with a lower profile.

Loosen bolts on the idler arm, and remove. Do the same with the pitman arm. Remove the inner fender liner removing the push tabs using two screw drivers in the opposite tabs to pull them out. Careful there, don't stab yourself.

Once out, use a 15 mm socket or wrench, (rachet wrench does great) to remove the bolt connecting the intermitent steering shaft to the gear box input shaft. When the bolt is out wiggle and work the top shaft upward to remove it from the gear box shaft.

Disconnect PS fluid hard lines at the top of the gear box.

Once that is done use I believe an 18mm socket to remove the bolts on the outside of the frame rail in the fender area that are holding the gear box on.

Reinstall new parts in opposite order making sure to torque everything as you go and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am blind but I can not see any kind of Allen wrench adjustment screw on the gearbox. Assuming what I am looking at is the gearbox is the screw accessible from the top of the vehicle or under? I followed the steering shaft to a box so I'm assuming that is it. Maybe someone has a picture?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt recommend using a pickle fork to remove either the pitman arm or idler arm. They are pressed on, its not like a ball joint where you wack it and it loosens it. It takes an extreme amount of force to get them off. That is why they have idler arm and pitman arm removers. Plus, its a hell of a lot easier, hah. Heck, I had to bring mine to a shop to get mine off. Ended up using a torch to heat it up and it finally broke free.

You might want to get a replacement idle arm bracket, they tend to wear as well.

The screw is accessible from on top of the gear box. You cant miss it. It has a nut on it and is set inbetween 4 screws. The nut is actually threaded on the adjuster. The center of the threaded rod has an allen head pressed in it.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The screw wouldn't move.

Found a guy on Craigslist that is super good n cheap. Fixed up my a/c too.

Had him install all the stuff there is STILL play in the wheel. It seems slightly better but still not optimal IMO. Is there something from the steering shaft to the steering wheel that could cause it?

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's that do and is it possible this could do it? I just don't get it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
on shaft rides inside of other allow the steering column to collapses in crash they could be wearing out against each other creating the play.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you typo that I can't understand what you just said lol

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No but the instructions from ac Delco specifically said NOT to adjust it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts