Loose steering still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to a shop a month or two back to have a ton of work done. Intake manifold gaskets, leaks, flushes, shocks, they replaced the steering shaft the uca's and bushings I believe but the steering is still slightly loose to the left and right a few inches then it is nice and tight.

If I am on uneven ground the wheels pull to that side of the street an I find myself cutting the wheel 1/4 turn opposite to keep it straight.

I had them check and recheck and they say nothing has any play to it.

They said the steering gearbox isn't leaking or anything as well.

Any ideas? I trust the shop but they do specialize in imports more than domestics however this is a standard mechanical issue and not engine or anything so I doubt it has anything to do with that

Sorry for any typos. Typing on my phone.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your steering gear box is worn out. This happens often after freshening up the rest of the steering components, tightening everything else up and that puts strain on an already worn out gear box. Replace it and ride right....

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a good price on a gearbox? I've seen them for around $250 On amazon. Also how long would it take an inexperienced person such as myself to replace a gearbox?

I figured it was probably the gearbox with worn out teeth or something. I assume they have some sort of clutch/teeth inside since it is called a gearbox :)

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=303579&postcount=7 does this apply to mine as well? Definitely wouldn't mind trying this before getting a new gearbox

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can try tightening the nut, but if you have had a lot of other work done to improve thigns already, and you have that much play in the wheel and the wheels are tracking wrong like you described, I am betting it wouldn't help enough in your case.

$250 is a decent price, you may want to check with SuperchargedSS on the site here, he is a Vendor for OEMPartsDirect and may be able to save you some coin on that.

You may want to also go ahead and get another pitman arm while you are at it, depending on how long the play has been there it may be stripped itself or on it's way.

Just about anyone should be able to change a gear box out in about three hours or less. There isn't a lot to it. Just disconnect the intermitent steering shaft under the hood, remove the pitman arm and remove the bolts that hold the gear box to the frame and then install the new one. Making sure to torque everything properly during installation.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are ac Delco remans on amazon for $230 or a reman one on eBay for $140. No brand on the eBay one I think. They say it's oem and lifetime warranty on the eBay one though.

Any recommendations?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a core charge? I say do what you can do, if you get a lifetime warranty on the one from Ebay go for it, if it goes out again they replace it.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$30 on eBay but they don't ship until they get the core which doesn't make sense but yea. Probably grab the ac Delco at least I recognize the branding.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heck with that. So the truck has to sit for at the very least 7-10 days while everything is shipped back and forth. Not good at all.

Yeah, the AcDelco would be the choice for me as well on that one.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered them up, pitman and idler with gearbox. Any step by step on what to remove to do this. I would like to attempt it myself. I replaced the o2 sensors recently and that one on the front passenger side was nuts!

This is about the sum experience of doing anything in the last few years mechanical related. I did fix my windshield wiper motor pc. The other day but I am an expert at soldering so that was easy as hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snackcake01