Loose steering still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericshup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the XJ shaft in my '92 ECSB, did WONDERS for my steering. Its as tight as my Tahoe now (also got new tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm when I did my lift kit). Its a super easy mod. Got my XJ shaft off eBay for like $30. 84-96 XJ shafts work, NOT Grand Cherokees, just normal Cherokees.

Chris,

Was this just a drop in swap, or did you have to make/modify anyhting to connect the upper and lower shaft?

I found one on ebay, and want to know before I pull the trigger and take it apart again.

Eric

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,

Was this just a drop in swap, or did you have to make/modify anyhting to connect the upper and lower shaft?

I found one on ebay, and want to know before I pull the trigger and take it apart again.

Eric

The slightest bit of grinding has to be done on the shaft that sticks out of the firewall to allow the bolt that clamps the upper part of the XJ shaft to that shaft will clear it. I did it with a dremel in 3 seconds. After that its a straight drop in, slip both ends over the stock locations and tighten the bolts to clamp them on.

Zack757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
any tips on how to adjust the nut on the steering box. im having the same problems as lvneptune and i wanna try to adjust it before gettin a new one

chrispitude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LVNeptune, any update? I recently had the entire front-end freshened on my 2006 Yukon XL Denali with 90k miles (upper/lower control arms with bushings, inner/outer tie rod ends, idler/pitman arms, front/rear shocks, steering int. shaft, aligned twice to be sure) and I still have an unsettling wander on the highway that requires more attention than it should. Did you install a steering gear, and did it fix the problem?

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, and it didn't. I gave up on it a long time ago. Did you have your steering sensor under the steering wheel replaced? That's apparently been the problem on 97+ models.

chrispitude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did, and it didn't. I gave up on it a long time ago. Did you have your steering sensor under the steering wheel replaced? That's apparently been the problem on 97+ models.

Can you send me a PM? I can't PM you because I haven't made 10 posts yet.

crabbman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, can any one tell me the name/manufacture of a idler arm extractor tool? I have used all rental tools at auto zone and oreillys with no luck

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace the rag joint this is always over looked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
townsa12

Latest posts