Loose steering still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should also check your tire preasure. That could also affect steering.

ericshup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had the same problem for a year. I replaced the tie rods, idler and pitman arms, gear box, and the center link. Still had a lot of slop in the steering wheel.

Last weekend, I bought a Rag Joint repair kit from oreilly's. I removed the intermediate steering shaft in about 10 minutes. It only took me 4 hours to get the rivets drilled out and popped off, then another trip the store for grade 8 bolts, and about 10 minutes to re-assemble.

Drives like a new truck. I am not constantly correcting when driving on the highway anymore. :rocking:

Supposedly, you can take a lower shaft from a 90's Cherokee and drop it right in. It uses U-Joints instead of a rag joint, but I don't have any good junk yards around me to test that theory out.

my .02

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a video showing that you have a bad steering box? I've had my truck for 5 years now, and I've always felt the steering was light but have nothing to compare it to, because this truck just might have lighter steering than other cars.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem for a year. I replaced the tie rods, idler and pitman arms, gear box, and the center link. Still had a lot of slop in the steering wheel.

Last weekend, I bought a Rag Joint repair kit from oreilly's. I removed the intermediate steering shaft in about 10 minutes. It only took me 4 hours to get the rivets drilled out and popped off, then another trip the store for grade 8 bolts, and about 10 minutes to re-assemble.

Drives like a new truck. I am not constantly correcting when driving on the highway anymore. :rocking:

Supposedly, you can take a lower shaft from a 90's Cherokee and drop it right in. It uses U-Joints instead of a rag joint, but I don't have any good junk yards around me to test that theory out.

my .02

Just looked through my original invoice when I had my front end work done and the steering shaft coupler was part of it. So it has to be new as well.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering seemed loose as well on my 03 Z71. Two shops both said everything was tight and fine. I went ahead and replaced the ball joints and hub bearings. It really tightened up the steering. Took away all the loose feeling. Also took away a clunk I had when turning, and a noise I had in 4wd. It was a bear of a job, but worth it.

Also. Just prior to this I used the nut on the steering box to tighten things up. Now I think it wasn't necessary and it turns a little too hard, so I'm going to loosen it back to the original specs.

OP
OP
L

LVNeptune

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is that nut? I haven't found a "proper" fit.

Also, ball joints already replaced. Wheel hub bearings not sure but I don't believe they would affect what I have now.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my .02

I have the XJ shaft in my '92 ECSB, did WONDERS for my steering. Its as tight as my Tahoe now (also got new tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm when I did my lift kit). Its a super easy mod. Got my XJ shaft off eBay for like $30. 84-96 XJ shafts work, NOT Grand Cherokees, just normal Cherokees.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is that nut? I haven't found a "proper" fit.

Also, ball joints already replaced. Wheel hub bearings not sure but I don't believe they would affect what I have now.

Oh boy...I don't remember, but I have 15mm stuck in my head for some reason. I'll have to check.

Oh, and I've replaced my drivers bearing at least twice now, and the same for the passenger side, and every time I changed them, they didn't have any play or make a constant noise of any kind, but after changing them, it always solved a problem of some type. It's weird. This last time I changed them, it solved a moaning noise in 4wd. I have no idea why it would have an affect, but I'm not complaining! The other times either my steering was loose, or they started to grind a little.

Last edited: