Looking to get a SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRocketZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking to get a 2009+ SSV Tahoe within the next few months. I have read the sticky, read some threads, and still have a few questions.

For some background, I have always been a GM guy and have owned several LS powered vehicles over the years and still have my turbo Camaro (hence the username). Recently I've had a 2002 Avalanche, 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3, 2003 Silverado 1500HD, and just recently sold a 2003 Suburban 2500 8.1L (I know, not an LS).

Anyway, I am looking for a full size SUV that I can still tow my boat and car trailer with. The boat is a 1999 Mariah Z252 that has a dry weight for 4250 lbs that sits on a tandem axle trailer. I am guessing the total weight is around 6200 lbs. after accounting for fluids, gear, and trailer. I've had the boat hooked up to all the vehicles, but didn't tow it any distance with the Rainier for obvious reasons. The Avalanche struggled with the 5.3/4L60E combo but did it. The Silverado also struggled with the 6.0/4L80E combo but if I left it in 3rd it would hum right along. I bought the 8.1 Suburban strictly for towing duties and while it does a fantastic job, it's more than I need I think. Neither the Avalanche or Silverado would hold OD while towing the boat, but did fine with my Camaro on an open trailer. The Suburban would hold OD and pick up speed whenever I wanted. It also got the best MPG towing the boat out of all the others but unloaded it only improved 1-2 MPG.

With that being said, I have also towed the boat 6 hours one way with a 2013 Tahoe LTZ. It towed better than all of the other vehicles except the Suburban. One thing that concerns me with the SSV Tahoe is that it won't have the air suspension to level the truck back out. This brings me to my first question of adding airbags to the SSV springs, or will it not sag enough to worry about it? The car trailer adds the most tongue weight. Also, is the K5L HD cooling package really needed? I always add an aftermarket trans cooler to my tow vehicles anyway, and an oil cooler really isn't needed IMO.

Next question, adding the DIC buttons. It's really as simple as cutting out the hole for them and plugging it in? I assume the existing wiring is behind the dash and easy to get to?

Any other nuances I should be aware of? I like the idea of the vinyl seats and rubber floors as I have two kids. The only other thing I might consider doing is adding remote start, a full center console and third row seats but I am guessing that is pretty straightforward too.

Here the place I am currently looking to purchase from when the time comes. This is an example of what I would like to have as well. It has all the options I would want (GU6, G80, AP8, Z82, etc.) outside of the K5L. If the K5L isn't a deal breaker then I won't necessarily look for one with it.

http://chicagomotors.com/114307/2009-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LS-4WD

Lastly, some pics of the boat behind the Rainier and Suburban.

Thanks for any help and I look forward to picking one of these up in the near future.

Rainier Boat.jpg Burb Boat.jpg

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Next question, adding the DIC buttons. It's really as simple as cutting out the hole for them and plugging it in? I assume the existing wiring is behind the dash and easy to get to?

Here the place I am currently looking to purchase from when the time comes. This is an example of what I would like to have as well. It has all the options I would want (GU6, G80, AP8, Z82, etc.) outside of the K5L. If the K5L isn't a deal breaker then I won't necessarily look for one with it.

http://chicagomotors.com/114307/2009-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LS-4WD

Yes, it's that easy to install the DIC

Chicago motors is great, that's where I got my PPV. Those are the only two questions I can help with. LoL

OP
OP
R

RedRocketZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, it's that easy to install the DIC

Chicago motors is great, that's where I got my PPV. Those are the only two questions I can help with. LoL

Thanks! Do they move on the prices much? It looks like their inventory is pretty nice in the pics. Did you find that to be the case?

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW the truck looks good, clean. Seems like it was a Feds truck. Now this I've never seen before:

31e07b2a3298ba210e945a146ca9b70e767fb090.jpg

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Do they move on the prices much? It looks like their inventory is pretty nice in the pics. Did you find that to be the case?

They did bring the price down on mine so I would say they're pretty reasonable.

OP
OP
R

RedRocketZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering what that is.

Good to know they will move a little on the price. What do you think of the price on this particular unit? I planned on waiting until the spring to buy something but if I find the right deal I may jump.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering what that is.

Good to know they will move a little on the price. What do you think of the price on this particular unit? I planned on waiting until the spring to buy something but if I find the right deal I may jump.
You can always buy the Tahoe directly from the source...

http://www.govdeals.com

It may take some time to find exactly what you want, but I got a heck of a deal on my 2012 (as well as several Crown Vics over the past several years).

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my ssv from Chicago motors a few months ago.

I’ll say this; they’re VERY good at taking pictures. What may look clean in pics might not look that way when you get there. They also move thru inventory pretty quick (for the most part). I went there with 3 I had liked online and 1 was sold by the time I got there and the other two were much rougher.

Keep in mind that they’re basically buying them and doing the bare minimum to get them on the lot. They’ve got piles of stuff to swap out to “fix” them up. They’re also willing to swap things out for you if somethinf isnot up to your standards.

They’re very nice people and they did move on price.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW the truck looks good, clean. Seems like it was a Feds truck. Now this I've never seen before:

View attachment 209566
Mine has the hvac controls there as well. It used to have a cage so they moved them forward with that plate.

That one also looks like it’s been lifted (or at least leveled). Mine had strut spacers up front and lift springs out back.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably have them knock it down to 12K. Do you live in the Chicago area? Are you planning to pick it up or shipping it? If you ship you need to take that into account. From IL to FL it was $500. And what Joel said is true. I got lucky I got the truck I wanted but it did have some rust and two small dings I didn't see in the pics. But considereing the mileage, year, department it came from and how it was used I can't complain. It's a jem and practically new. I pulled the trigger because I was able to get the service records from the day it was bought till the day it was sold so I know the complete history of the truck.

But like Adam said you can go straight to the source.

http://www.govdeals.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent