Looking to do some engine work on my 2007 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brooklyndenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, Im looking to do some upgrades on my 2007 Tahoe motor. I wanted to know what is the best route to go . I wanted to stay stock but with a little more go with the motor as in upgraded cams and etc. I will appreciate some suggestions and the a stray down the right path.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im looking to do some upgrades on my 2007 Tahoe motor. I wanted to know what is the best route to go . I wanted to stay stock but with a little more go with the motor as in upgraded cams and etc. I will appreciate some suggestions and the a stray down the right path.

It only has one cam in it.

But, since you're up for an upgraded cam, you'd be prime to delete AFM. Unless it has been updated, your '07 would have all the earliest versions of the AFM components. Chances of having issues are higher, if you haven't had any yet. You can get a mild cam that would work well with the stock torque converter and valve train, and even not require a custom tune. Although, since a custom tune by itself is one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods you can do, it'd certainly optimize even a mild cam and whatever other mods you may do.

As always, the first step is to ensure everything is in top operating condition, primarily the wear items such as fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc. How many miles are on it? Any current issues? What are your maintenance habits like? Driving style and environment?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no replacement for displacement. Put a 6.0 or 6.2 in it if you plan to spend some real coin on this thing.

Regardless, the first step is the tune, the cornerstone for all future modifications. The tune is also your biggest bang for the buck as nothing else comes close to dollars spent versus tenths shaved off your 1/4 mile times afterwards.

What gears do you have? 3.73s or 4.10s will put some pep in her step with those 4-speeds.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had your rig, here is what I would do. I've put 3 cams in my 2012 XL Denali (long story), and this is very similar to the setup I landed on:

Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam. Smooth idle, lots of power.
Morel 7717 lifters. Durable, reliable.
GM OEM lifter trays
Brian Tooley Racing valve springs for .560 lift.
Black Bear Performance tune

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny