Looking to add 100hp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram396

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to add some more power to my 2013 Tahoe and was wondering if anyone has done it with the one of the Texas Speed cam and head kits?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to add some more power to my 2013 Tahoe and was wondering if anyone has done it with the one of the Texas Speed cam and head kits?

Based on my 1/4 mile times, I've added close to that with a very streetable TSP Stage 2, mild stall, minor bump in compression, headers (tri-Y, so not really mid- nor long-tubes), and tune.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've cammed both a 5.3 and a 6.2 now.

5.3 factory stock is 8.6 0-60, I got that down to 7.2 after cam and long tubes.
6.2 stock is around 6.8-7.0 0-60. I got that down to 5.3 seconds.

The mods make a huge difference along with a good tune. If I could do it again, I'd just do blower though.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A supercharger is really the best way to add 100+ hp and keep great drivability. You can get 100hp with a cam and heads but it’ll likely have the powerband of a sports car which, in my opinion, is not well suited to a big heavy truck.

I did a mild VVT cam in my truck and it drives great but it probably only added 50hp tops on my 6.2L. Much bigger and I feel drivability would not be as good and I would not be happy. I really wanted a supercharger but I have two cars I spend money on and was more concerned with basically restoring my truck so I can keep it 10 more years.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, blower is the way to go. Plus when you upgrade your truck later, you can sell the blower and recoup your money. I did a 6.2 upgrade, so I just did the cam while I was there. I still may put a blower on top of that lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ram396

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would love to do a blower but at almost 7k it's almost 3 times the cost of the Texas Speed cam and head kit. Add in exhaust and a tune and that puts it close to 9k.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to do a blower but at almost 7k it's almost 3 times the cost of the Texas Speed cam and head kit. Add in exhaust and a tune and that puts it close to 9k.

That's true but you won't get the power you get from a blower out of a cam and certainly not the torque down low (even if you keep VVT). You also don't have to do anything to the exhaust with a blower where headers are required for many cams. Magnuson kits come with a can tune so you don't necessarily have to pay for another tune unless you want something better than that.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true but you won't get the power you get from a blower out of a cam and certainly not the torque down low (even if you keep VVT). You also don't have to do anything to the exhaust with a blower where headers are required for many cams. Magnuson kits come with a can tune so you don't necessarily have to pay for another tune unless you want something better than that.

Having done the cam/headers I would much rather have a blower with stock exhaust manifolds. As I get older, I am just not a fan of headers on a daily driver. Too many downsides for 20-30 hp.

High flow cats also don't filter that well when you have a cam, so you'll still get a smell. Albeit not even close to as bad as catless.