Looking for the AFM delete key!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great points. I am a big believer in VVT. Do you know if experienced tuners have determined where to set the VVT advance/retard points on the 5.3 to optimize performance?

The factory utilizes VVT to "simulate" egr function in midrange/cruise scenario. for the after market it's really not all the complicated. old school cams you could get away with advancing the cam to make more torque at low rpm OR retarding the cam to make more horsepower at the top end. with the VVT actuator you can do both, If you do a cam swap it is recommended/required to install a cam limiter, which will restrict retard to 16 (or 22 degrees). For GM VVT you can only retard the cam, so VVT cams are ground at a "parked" position usually at 7 or 8 degrees advanced and from there you can retard back to -7 (or further if you use 22* limiter different years not really important). I supposed you could try to emulate GMs strategy of an egr but for any type of performance gain just scrap it, you would probably need countless hours on a dyno to truly optimize a VVT cam but a simple somewhat linear sweep starting about 3500 rpm up to 7000rpm adding in half a degree every 300 or so rpm is what seems to work well

Last edited:
OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with ThirdCoast and I am going to give the Range box a try ans see if that helps. I'll keep you all posted.

sfc_jones

Reaction score
I decided to do a complete DOD/AFM delete. I put a low lift cam in it, replaced the oil pump with a high pressure high volume pump and am thinking about adding a On3 Performance Turbo on it as well. J2 Motorsports in Killeen, TX did the tune. I am also going to put long tube headers on it as well because my goal I am looking at is about 450 to 500 hp at the wheels. Of course I had to change the valve springs as well and Texas Speed supplied all of the parts. I am very happy with what I have done so far.

Last edited:

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brian tooley has the AFM cam delete kit, couple different cams, and you still need to tune the AFM out, not all tuners do it now, superchips does. You can also have it turned off wuth HP tuners as well.

thirdcoast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke with ThirdCoast and I am going to give the Range box a try ans see if that helps. I'll keep you all posted.

Hey Matt AKA: lamerem, how is the Range AFM Delete Module I sent you and was delivered by FedEx on Dec 28,2017???

I sure would like to get paid for it since we agreed that you would send payment ($100.00) for it once it arrived!:oops:

I have emailed you & tried to call you, but no answer or response..

Let me know something,

Thirdcoast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman