Looking for Testimonials Re: HM Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope this is the right section to post this. I'm curious to find out what everyone's response is to this question:
Are High Mileage Oils worth it? Or Hype?
I know, another oil thread. But like everyone else I've read about, there is no definitive answer! You Google the question and you get 66,000 opinions. Does anyone have experience with this? My Yukon started out running on Quaker State 5w30 for years. Then I heard Quaker State was bad and switched to Mobile 1 synthetic after 100,000 miles. Then last year I put in the Mobil 1 HM. Seemed to use about 1/4 qt between changes. My question is should I continue with it now? Or would switching back be of any benefit? Or does it just not matter? It just hit 200,000 miles. Not dripping on the driveway but a little oily by the oil cooler bypass. Otherwise runs great. So confused. And it's on sale right now.... LOL!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan. Specs wise, Quaker State is "better" than plain Mobil One. But every motor is a little bit different and responds differently so as the saying goes, what works best for yours may not be the best for mine.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And obviously I can't believe anything I read. My old man swore by Quaker State and that's where I continued with it. Until I read it was junk somewhere. And believed it. I run Mobil 1 in my bike as do several others I know so I thought it would also be good for the car. But now, I'm just confused.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm always getting in trouble for Googling stuff. Funny how research paid the bills in my career but now my wife is the boss. LOL!

Not that I believe everything I read but after hours of research it's about even on the yes's vs the no's on using the HM stuff.

So, here's my question: Now that I've apparently "swelled" everything with the HM additives, can I go back to a non HM oil without those additives?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well from personal use and experience.
06 Silverado almost to 410k miles never had high mileage oil just regular valvoline and then oriellys oil 5w30 most its life and 10w30 now in winter and 10w40 in the summer
95 ford 302 320k miles for the last 200k basically whatever oil was on sale from straight 30, 10w30, 10w40, straight 40 to 20w50.
High mileage oil in my OPINION no empirical evidence is a scam.
Valve cover leaks? Fix it
Pan gasket leaks? Fix it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Just get a good brand you like and stick with that. I've tried the HM oil in the past and saw NO benefit whatsoever. I stick with a good generic brand now that meets the OEM spec and have had great luck. As long as whatever you are running is CLEAN, then that's really all a motor cares about.

I know we like to assign them feelings, but they really don't give a flying rats behind on the brand, snake additives, etc. Just clean, wet, and slippery is needed.....

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Agreed. Just get a good brand you like and stick with that. I've tried the HM oil in the past and saw NO benefit whatsoever. I stick with a good generic brand now that meets the OEM spec and have had great luck. As long as whatever you are running is CLEAN, then that's really all a motor cares about.

I know we like to assign them feelings, but they really don't give a flying rats behind on the brand, snake additives, etc. Just clean, wet, and slippery is needed.....
Clean yes let me ask a question if you were running regular oil and it got dirty a 4000 miles.Then you put in Your choice of high mileage oil and it was dirty at 4000 miles would you ocntinue to drive it to 8-10000 miles because it says its high mileage.Oil should be changed because its dirty in my mind.I change my mobil 1 synthetic non high mileage every 4000 but start looking at it around 3000 and would have no problem changing it then if it was dirty.Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean yes let me ask a question if you were running regular oil and it got dirty a 4000 miles.Then you put in Your choice of high mileage oil and it was dirty at 4000 miles would you ocntinue to drive it to 8-10000 miles because it says its high mileage.Oil should be changed because its dirty in my mind.I change my mobil 1 synthetic non high mileage every 4000 but start looking at it around 3000 and would have no problem changing it then if it was dirty.Just my 2 cents.
To answer your question, no I don't believe it should be used longer because it say High Mileage. I'm very maintenance conscious regarding oil and usually only go 4000 miles. The "Change Oil" warning comes on then. In between times I check the level and condition at least once a month. My question was regarding the additives in High Mileage oils. Wondering if after swelling the gaskets and seals if it would hurt to go back to a non HM oil. Some readings had said once you start, you need to continue....

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High mileage refers to the age of/miles on the engine, not longer change intervals. It's supposedly designed with different additives for seals, etc. But reviews seem mixed. Just a gimmick to charge more. IMO

I've seen different oils get dirtier sooner than other, but as a rule I go 5k in between changes. Also, the type of driving makes a difference on how soon the oil gets dirty as well in my experience.

Good, long road trips = stays cleaner longer
Short trips, beboppping around gets dirty sooner.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High mileage refers to the age of/miles on the engine, not longer change intervals. It's supposedly designed with different additives for seals, etc. But reviews seem mixed. Just a gimmick to charge more. IMO

I've seen different oils get dirtier sooner than other, but as a rule I go 5k in between changes. Also, the type of driving makes a difference on how soon the oil gets dirty as well in my experience.

Good, long road trips = stays cleaner longer
Short trips, beboppping around gets dirty sooner.
But there are "swelling" additives in it. Gimmick or not, I think the additives do something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy