Looking for some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... a couple months ago I installed the folling in my 99 four door Yukon...

Head Unit: Alpine CDA 9886
Door Speakers (Front & Rear): Polk Audio db 651s 6-1/2" Slim 2-way Speakers
Rear (Above Cargo Doors): Kenwood KFC-415C 4"x10" 2-way Speakers

I have to say, I am not totally thrilled with my choice in speakers. They are not horrible but I want something that is a little louder and has more bass to it without (and I know this is the though part) installing a subwoofer. I had two 12 inch Alpine Type-R's at one point with the stock speakers every where else but thats just too much imo. I don't have an issue with an sub but since there is no way to keep it from mucking up the rear cargo area (which I use all the time) I am kinda hosed unless there are other optins for mounting a sub(s).

Anywhooo... I am looking for recommendations on replacements for all the speakers in the truck. I am a rock and roll kinda guy who just wants louder, clear, sound, with a bass kick behind it when I need it. Nothing that will wake 17 city blocks when I am driving to my office at 7 am.

I would love to jam 6x9's in the rear above the doors and have found that it can be done by modifying that mounting plate but no sure on the mounting depth of the new speakers so I need help and recommendations there please.

Further, I hear that component speakers are the way to go up front (didnt do that this time around) so what are people liking up there as far as component sets?

What are people liking for the rear passenger doors now a days?

Should I be using an amp for any or all the speakers and if so, what amp would be recommended for this whole debacle???

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advnace
Mike

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the rear 4x10 location, it is true you can dremel it out to accept a 6x9. I've done so and installed Alpine Type R 6x9's which have a large magnet and basket. Make sure you get a pack of cutting wheels for your dremel as the steel bracket will eat them up (think I used 3 or 4 of them). The trick to installing deep 6x9's like this is getting an angled 6x9 spacer which will help in a few ways:

1. Will give room for deep speakers that will produce better and fuller sound, especially when ampliefied.
  2. Fill further angle the speaker towards the front of the cab for a better sound stage.
  3. You won't have to dremel as much of the speaker mounting bracket due to the spacer being installed.

I can show you pics of the work if you want. The spacers can be found on eBay or Amazon for ~$10-15. Can't help with the other questions.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can show you pics of the work if you want. The spacers can be found on eBay or Amazon for ~$10-15. Can't help with the other questions.

Ohhh, yes please. I'd also like to upgrade from stock, but didn't want 4x10's. Links to Ebay spacers too please, only because I have no idea what you are talking about, and I'd like to see (edumecate myself) please.

OP
OP
Johnny Racer

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just looked on evilbay.

He might be talking about these... http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-6x9-Speaker-Adapters-Adaptors-Angled-Spacer-/290368292410?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item439b4c863a

Wondering though if these will still allow use of the stock speaker covers.

Further... Maybe I am just missing the boat with the speakers I have. Should I be using an amp with the door speakers and a seperate one with the rear cargo speakers? I have been told by someone else that an amp will make a world of difference here. Maybe I am just over thinking this whole mess.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just looked on evilbay.

He might be talking about these... http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-6x9-Speaker-Adapters-Adaptors-Angled-Spacer-/290368292410?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item439b4c863a
QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! Boy was my mental picture way off. For some reason, I had imagind them being angled lengthways so as to point more forward but straight on, as opposed to being angled sideways.

They would stick way too much for my liking, almost like pods at that point. 48mm is very close to 2inches.

And just from looking, I don't think that the stock speaker grills would go back on with those installed.

But again, I am a complete newb when it comes to this stuff.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are extremely close to what spacers I'm running and they work perfect. It should still allow for the stock covers to be installed, though I haven't yet tried to do so as I'm going to be redoing my headliner soon so it hasn't been installed. That and summer came and its way too hot to work on the truck. I want to say the spacers I got were not that tall though, they were 1.5" max, if that.

I'd very much so recommend an amp, depending on the speakers you get I'd look for between 50-100w RMS per channel. I had an Alpine PDX-5 amp that pushed out a little over 100w RMS x 4 channels and a little over 400w for a subwoofer channel all in 1 amp that was PERFECT, but alas...that was stolen the same night I installed it. When it gets around to the cooler season I'll be redoing it and taking a few more proactive measures to keep it in my possession.

I'll post some pics of the work here in a bit. It's really simple guys. :Handshake:

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I would definitely run an amp and if you want some bass I would add 1 or 2 nice 8" subs.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the work. You can see how much needed to be dremel'd out and see the spacers, which you can see aren't anywhere near 2". I also used some of the Fat Mat Rattle Trap on these brackets that I had left over from doing my interior which helped isolate some of the sound the brackets create, but it doesn't look like I was able to find any pics of the finished work.

Attachments

• Speaker Bracket Comparison.jpg
    Speaker Bracket Comparison.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Speaker Brackets painted.jpg
    Speaker Brackets painted.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Speakers attached to brackets.jpg
    Speakers attached to brackets.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Speakers attached to brackets 2.jpg
    Speakers attached to brackets 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Johnny Racer

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I am going to try the 6x9's real soon but for now I am going to amp the four 6.5's and see what happens. The make or break deal for me with the 6x9's is they have to fit under the stock speaker covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen