Looking for guidance on purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently had my first child and with the kid, two medium-large dogs and my wife I am looking to buy a bigger vehicle. I don't want car payments so not looking to buy a new $40,000+ truck.

I have found a few local Tahoe's for sale but this one seems the cleanest to my admittedly untrained eye. It is somewhat local and I did take a look at it in person today. We do have a family friend that is a reputable mechanic that lives locally and the dealer has stated he wouldn't mind me taking it to him for a pre-purchase inspection.

I couple of things that stick out to me. The seller is proud to call out the fact it was an Arizona car. This is desirable to us here in the rust belt. However, you can see on the car fax linked on the posting that it has been in PA for the past ~5 years. The truck seems almost TOO clean. The fender liners are spooky clean. The tires are brand new but are off-brand (fuzion).

Assuming my mechanic gives this a fairly clean bill of health is this something I should pull the trigger on?

https://www.hartmanmotorco.com/vehi...-chevrolet-tahoe-1500-used-millville-pa.shtml

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

If you like it, buy it. Set aside a few $K for customisations and repairs. Test EVERY switch and button and read the owner's manual. Engage the transfer case properly for 4LO and drive it in all settings. Looks very clean and well cared for from our end.

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think being in lake havasu, and the low miles, tells me they probably are older/retired (low miles because they don't drive it to work). Third owner could have been a snowbird, but I would guess wanted a non-rusted out vehicle since they put on average mileage. They may have hit 100k miles, and thought that it needed to be traded in to not worry about maintenance (which is why the missing oil changes is bothersome). They may have not put anything into it, and let it go 40K miles without changing the oil (which is slim). Do you know if this area has inspections? Could they have done their own maintenance and got an inspection done at the dealer, and just needed wipers to pass??? (just throwing it out there)….

A dealer could have taken it in on trade. The terms are slightly flexible, but its basically 100-120K miles 10-12 years old that a vehicle is eligible for financing. Buy here/pay here places can take it a little farther. Most of that place has inventory looks like its just within the range, and they have all makes. If they did buy it at a dealer auction, they probably got it for half of what they are asking.

As for calling the dealership in the Carfax , yeah: I was looking at a vehicle locally, and the Carfax shows you did some work on it at one point, (on the PA dealer, but it says just the wiper blades). I was hoping you could tell me about the vehicle …… I'm not sure if they can or will tell you, not sure if they would have what it sold for, what if any work was done to it, but it won't hurt to ask... I would just realize they know you're clearly not getting any work done through them (when you call). Just have the vin and dates handy, be polite, know what you want to ask, and know they are always busy.

Curious, but if the previous owners took it to a place like Jiffy Lube for oil changes and maintenance, would that show up on CarFax?

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price seems crazy high to me for a 14 year old Tahoe, even with the low miles taken into consideration.

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am taking the truck to my mechanic tomorrow and I will update you guys.

Assuming it is as clean as it looks what would you all offer. I've checked car guru and Craigslist for my area and it seems at most 500$ than it should be but most are right in the same area price wise (I know that's not chump change). The ones that are a bit cheaper look like they might have been molested with painted bumpers and such.

It seems some of you guys think it's priced fairly high and others don't seem to mind. Is it market difference?

Edit: painted bumpers as in body work not tastefully done.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I am taking the truck to my mechanic tomorrow and I will update you guys.

Assuming it is as clean as it looks what would you all offer. I've checked car guru and Craigslist for my area and it seems at most 500$ than it should be but most are right in the same area price wise (I know that's not chump change). The ones that are a bit cheaper look like they might have been molested with painted bumpers and such.

It seems some of you guys think it's priced fairly high and others don't seem to mind. Is it market difference?

Edit: painted bumpers as in body work not tastefully done.

The price is in line with whats around me for the most part (Chicago). I would still start at about 7500-8000 and see what you can get. Make sure you have your absolute top number decided, and don't change it. If you get that high, tell the guy "I'm either going to write your a check right now for $, or I'm not. You pick."

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The price is in line with whats around me for the most part (Chicago). I would still start at about 7500-8000 and see what you can get. Make sure you have your absolute top number decided, and don't change it. If you get that high, tell the guy "I'm either going to write your a check right now for $, or I'm not. You pick."
Remember, if you walk on this one, there's bound to be another one out there with your name on it. Don't fall in love with it, and if you do don't let the dealer know.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my opinion if you have the cash, poke around near and as far as you are willing to travel for a better deal, around here in central California you could pick that up from a private seller for nearly 1/2 price of what they are asking, if your financing it I guess that limits your options of course. Tahoe is made by chevy, Yukon is made by gmc but they are practically the same just a little different outer shell, same for suburban/Yukon xl, engine and drivetrain parts fit all of them (within reason and years of course), so that opens your options a little just depends on what grill you prefer to look at, and don't be discouraged by the slightly longer burb/xl these things drive like cars and have a good turn radius and you get the extra space in back.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint matched bumpers IS a factory option. There is a "Z71" option that has paint matched bumper and paint matched grill, along with matched fender flares, (don't recall what else). I can only guess that most people like the look better of a matching front end, some like the chrome bumper.

Any price you see on craigslist is what someone is asking.... Not sure if this was a cash deal, or if you are going to the dealer because you need financing. If you are getting financed, I hope you at least looked into getting financed prior to finding what you want so you know your limits, and your interest rate. You can still buy privately if you secure your own financing. Dealers aren't necessarily bad, but they are looking to make money on every vehicle.

You were kind of vague on options: Tahoes and Yukons are 4.8 or 5.3. "LS" is cloth, "LT" is leather, Denali is AWD with 6.0 leather and a different grill. Escalade is 5.3 or 6.0 RWD or AWD, HIDs, some have stabilitrack), and Im sure more besides that body molding. These are all the short wheel base (ext cab size). Yukon XL, Suburban, Escalade ESV are the longer body almost 2 feet longer.

Here is where I always go, ebay "completed listings". This is the only place I know of that shows a vehicle's SALE price. This is what people are actually paying for them, not what sellers are asking.

These are (filtered) 2002-2006, less than 125K miles, clear title. The prices in green are sold amount. The green with a line through it was they accepted a lower than "buy it now" /best offer price.
TAHOE
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Tahoe/6156/i.html?Model=Tahoe&Vehicle%20Title=Clear&Make=Chevrolet&_sop=10&_fosrp=1&Model%20Year=2006|2005|2004|2003|2002|2001&LH_Complete=1&_dcat=6156&rt=nc&Vehicle%20Mileage=Less%20than%20100%2C000%20miles|Less%20than%20125%2C000%20miles
YUKON
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Yukon/6249/i.html?Vehicle%20Title=Clear&Make=GMC&_fosrp=1&_sop=22&Model%20Year=2006|2005|2004|2003|2002&_dcat=6249&Vehicle%20Mileage=Less%20than%20100%2C000%20miles|Less%20than%20125%2C000%20miles&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
ESCALADE
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Escalade/6148/i.html?Model=Escalade&Model%20Year=2002|2003|2004|2005|2006&Make=Cadillac&_sop=10&_fosrp=1&Vehicle%20Title=Clear&Vehicle%20Mileage=Less%20than%2075%2C000%20miles|Less%20than%20100%2C000%20miles|Less%20than%20125%2C000%20miles&LH_Complete=1&_dcat=6148&rt=nc&Body%20Type=SUV|!

Dealer may be asking about $500 higher than average, but I'm seeing sales price about $2K-$4K less for comparable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will pay cash so financing doesn't need to be a thing.

Thanks for the completed sales. There was a 04 tahoe with less miles that sold for $7800 near Philly.

Really appreciate all the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low