Looking for all seasons that don't suck in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
My tires are due for a replacement come winter. I don't have the means of storing a second set of winter tires, so I'm stuck looking for a set of all seasons that can function in the snow and ice.

I've heard good thinks about nokian but they don't seem to have any offerings in my size ; 265/70r17

Whats out there? My Google fu has turned up only inaccurate information, manufacturers shilling their own product, and telling me what I already know - that winter tires are better than all seasons in the white stuff

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mastercraft axt, falken wildpeak at3w, trailfinder all terrain
that last one i know is a cheaper tire i picked up off discounttire. i picked it up as it was cheap and i needed tires quickly and wasnt expecting much from them. they are much softer than the falkens and dug through the snow just as good. they dont look very "cool" but im happy with them

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good year Wrangler Duratrack. Live in nj but drive up to vermont in snowstorms to ski, Tires have good grip and rarely use 4x4 in snow. Also pretty light tires compared to others

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friend runs the duratrack on his pickup and loves them. i ran them on a ram and they didnt hold up. he has been running them regularly past couple years so im assuming my experience was flawed by something.

mooman

Reaction score
Firestone Destination AT. Great light/deep snow traction. Wet traction suffers a little bit but still pretty good. Sadly, the tire performed the best from new 12/32 to about 8/32. Anything after the tire is complete junk.

Michellin LTX Defenders are okay, but really expensive. Great all season, great wet traction, decent in light snow, but effy in deep snow. Current tire, 20k and about half life.

BFGoodridge TKO2 have been the best winter set, without going an actual winter tire. Really short life IMO. I got 24k miles and they were toast.

Nitto 420 is a tire I tried based on price. you get what you pay for. Brand new, the tire was okay. Only okay. Fast wear and decent/bad winter traction.

I hear good things about the wrangler terrain Kevlar. Actually going to be my next tire after the Defender wears down a bit more.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michellin LTX Defenders are okay, but really expensive. Great all season, great wet traction, decent in light snow, but effy in deep snow. Current tire, 20k and about half life.

BFGoodridge TKO2 have been the best winter set, without going an actual winter tire. Really short life IMO. I got 24k miles and they were toast.

What air pressure did you run in the BFGs? Mine were wearing fast until I listened to BFG and put them at 50psi. If I'd taken their advice sooner, they might have lasted 60k miles.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was getting 50,000 out of BFG A/T's. lot of hwy, and snow plowed with them.

you must run them at max psi, 50 works well. and you must rotate them every 5-6,000 miles. or they will never make it to 30,000 miles.

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever tire you get, I would highly recommend having them siped. It is usually pretty cheap and will help on the ice. Also helps on the wet and on the boat ramp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505