New 2022 Z71 Tahoe, and I need snow tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StaninStan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New member here, so thanks for having me.

In a week I get my long awaited 2022 Tahoe Z71. Funny how I feel lucky just to be able to get one these days, especially since it has the max trailering/hitch view package I really wanted.

But I need some snow tires as I'm up in the High Country in Colorado and winter is a thing.

The wheels on the car are NZU listed as 20x9 aluminum, and the tires are 276/60R20.

For snow tires, I would like to get any input on whether I could switch to 18s and then run either Blizzaks or Nokian Hakkapeliittas, both of which I've had in the past and really like. Will 18s fit on my vehicle? And if so, what's the bolt pattern I am looking for to make sure I get the right rim?

I've seen takeoff rims on ebay in the 20" size, that's my backup plan but I feel I'd have better traction with the minus size 18 rim. I do get into some snowy stuff and I do tow some snowmobiles, so I want to get the most advantage I can.

I appreciate any/all advice or corrections if I have gotten things wrong on this. TIA

therealbofa

Reaction score

In a week I get my long awaited 2022 Tahoe Z71. Funny how I feel lucky just to be able to get one these days, especially since it has the max trailering/hitch view package I really wanted.

But I need some snow tires as I'm up in the High Country in Colorado and winter is a thing.

The wheels on the car are NZU listed as 20x9 aluminum, and the tires are 276/60R20.

For snow tires, I would like to get any input on whether I could switch to 18s and then run either Blizzaks or Nokian Hakkapeliittas, both of which I've had in the past and really like. Will 18s fit on my vehicle? And if so, what's the bolt pattern I am looking for to make sure I get the right rim?

I've seen takeoff rims on ebay in the 20" size, that's my backup plan but I feel I'd have better traction with the minus size 18 rim. I do get into some snowy stuff and I do tow some snowmobiles, so I want to get the most advantage I can.

I appreciate any/all advice or corrections if I have gotten things wrong on this. TIA

Cant help ya with the tires - I usually run KO2s year around (front range) but 18s will fit unless you have the Brembo kit and the pattern is 6x5.5 (aka 6x139.7). I just ordered some Method wheels today on a Black Friday special.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

All you need to do is run KO2s year round, no need to fool around with an extra set of wheels and tires.

OP
OP
S

StaninStan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
KO2 are great tires but won't work - there's fresh snow on the road for me every day all winter and the roads are pretty steep.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could step down to an 18 inch. Firestone makes one that is LT - thicker sidewall, MASSIVE tread depth 19/32 and is studable. I ran studs in Colorado when I lived there. Probably dont need LT for just 2 sleds unless you're going 4-5 sleds in an enclosed trailer. I've had 2 sets of the Firestones. Also have Hankook IPIKE on the wifes explorer that are studded. I currently have Nokian Nordman 7's without studs but havnt had any winter weather yet.

509Yukon

Reaction score
A new set of BFG KO2's that have been siped are incredible on snow, ice, mud, and wet / dry pavement. They will take a squirrelly pickup on ice and make it stick like glue, I couldn't believe the change with my F-350. You might want to investigate it, a number of tire dealers do it.

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/performance-tire-siping.html

Last edited:

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this response in another thread but it’s applicable here:

Best snow tire in my opinion (non-studded as not legal here in MN) is the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2. I put 10’s of thousands of miles on in the winter in the northern Midwest as part of my sales territory and have found these tires to be the best. I had a set of Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R2’s on a second gen Audi Q7 and really wanted to like them but found them squirrelly compared to the Blizzaks. That all may change when you have them studded however.

I was just out in MT elk hunting and had to drive home in an ice storm. The DMV-2’s on my 21 Yukon Denali (mounted on 20” AT4 OEM takeoff rims which are identical in size to your Z71 rims with same tire specs as you noted above) made for a VERY planted drive wirh no sliding or drama. I was extremely pleased with the performance.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just get the blizzaks in the factory size on the stock wheels and call it a day. Unless you have the room for storing wheels and tires, then i would still get the stock size wheel/tire again, personally.

My wife has ran 22” wheels on her last 3 full size suv’s all winter long with good winter tires and never had a single issue. Would 18’s work better…cant really say, but i would think the difference would be extremely minimal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts