Looking for advice on 09 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raven B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello!

I am picking up an 09 5.3L Yukon XL with approximately 145,000km's (located in Canada) on it tonight. It will be my first time owning a Yukon, and I'm not really sure what to look for before putting it on the road.

It needs an oil pressure sensor, which comes with the truck, it just hasn't been installed and it also needs a fuel evap sensor which I know requires dropping the tank, and for the line to be fed above the cross member when putting the tank back in.

I'm not certain what kind of lift is in it yet, but I know there is one, and it has 35" tires on 18" rims that rub the tiniest bit in a full crank, so obviously I shouldn't crank the wheels fully.

What kind of advice or information would you pass on knowing what little I know about it thus far?

Thanks in advance! :)

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Welcome to this awesome forum!

First...it’s really quite easy to do a little inner fender modification to provide enough clearance for the tires. Is it hitting in the front of the front tires only? Or the front and rear of the front tires? Would you be willing to fix the rubbing issue or just prefer to leave it be?

I’ve got a ‘07 Yukon with 140,000 miles and my wife has a ‘15 Yukon, so we definitely like the Yukon! I’m sure you’ll like it too.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Are getting this from a dealer or a private party? Will you be doing the work yourself? Replacing the oil pressure sensor is kind of a pain as it is tucked nicely behind the intake manifold and under the cowling. Skinny arms are helpful or you will end of with battle scars like I, and many folks here, have, but it is doable. While you have the sensor out, pull the screen that is under it out and clean it off or replace it with a new screen.

I would also plan on getting all the fluids changed out so you have a fresh start. At 145,000km I would plan on getting new plugs and plug wires as they are good for 160,000km.

Once you get it home, throw up some pictures of your new ride so we can see what you got.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You won't be disappointed with your new-to-you Yukon.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am picking up an 09 5.3L Yukon XL with approximately 145,000km's (located in Canada) on it tonight. It will be my first time owning a Yukon, and I'm not really sure what to look for before putting it on the road.

It needs an oil pressure sensor, which comes with the truck, it just hasn't been installed and it also needs a fuel evap sensor which I know requires dropping the tank, and for the line to be fed above the cross member when putting the tank back in.

I'm not certain what kind of lift is in it yet, but I know there is one, and it has 35" tires on 18" rims that rub the tiniest bit in a full crank, so obviously I shouldn't crank the wheels fully.

What kind of advice or information would you pass on knowing what little I know about it thus far?

Thanks in advance! :)

Get a Tech-2, check every switch and button for function. Check all the fluids, change the plugs and wires if not done already. Try to find out if the AFM system has been repaired yet and if the driver's side valve cover has been updated to reduce oil consumption. '09s have features of both the earlier and later models so they are unique in that way. They have the single pattern camshafts like the earlier trucks along with the 6-speed transmission. If yours is a 4x4, it will have the MP3023 2-speed transfer case and 3.42 gears but have to check and see if it has K5L upgraded cooling features for maximum towing. Haven't seen an '09 yet without it though.

Here's mine:
IMG_5870.jpg

OP
OP
R

Raven B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to this awesome forum!

First...it’s really quite easy to do a little inner fender modification to provide enough clearance for the tires. Is it hitting in the front of the front tires only? Or the front and rear of the front tires? Would you be willing to fix the rubbing issue or just prefer to leave it be?

I’ve got a ‘07 Yukon with 140,000 miles and my wife has a ‘15 Yukon, so we definitely like the Yukon! I’m sure you’ll like it too.

I've only noticed a rub on the back of the tires and I'm unsure if I want to fix it by cutting anything. Part of me feels like the truck is sitting too high and it may not be a terrible idea to put slightly smaller tires on it. Do you think that would help?

The sellers recommended turning the traction control off before driving it every time because it triggers the ABS in turns because of the lift and tire size.

I'm really hoping we like it! My daily commute is 70kms and they just increased the carbon tax up here so I'll be looking at anywhere from $1.20 - $1.40/L to fill it.

OP
OP
R

Raven B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Are getting this from a dealer or a private party? Will you be doing the work yourself? Replacing the oil pressure sensor is kind of a pain as it is tucked nicely behind the intake manifold and under the cowling. Skinny arms are helpful or you will end of with battle scars like I, and many folks here, have, but it is doable. While you have the sensor out, pull the screen that is under it out and clean it off or replace it with a new screen.

I would also plan on getting all the fluids changed out so you have a fresh start. At 145,000km I would plan on getting new plugs and plug wires as they are good for 160,000km.

Once you get it home, throw up some pictures of your new ride so we can see what you got.

We purchased this from a private party and it will be a combination of my fiance + his mechanic friends as well as shops doing whatever work needs to be done depending on problems.

Those are all really great suggestions about fluids and plugs etc! Thank you so much.

It was too dark and stormy out last night to get a decent picture, but when I get some daylight I'll be sure to upload something!

OP
OP
R

Raven B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia and good luck with your new rig. Did the PO tell you what was wrong or did a mechanic? I’m always leery about parts coming with purchases.

The seller's husband told us what was wrong with it and we plan to have a mechanic friend come by over the weekend to do a once over of the truck as he is very familiar with them.

She was selling it because she bought a new 2021 family suv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep