Looking for a Tahoe, few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bogey78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few months ago my wife decided the minivan was just not what she wanted to drive. I was enjoying a van that I had owned since new and had paid off years ago. However, she ultimately wore me down and I sold the van a few weeks ago.

We went shopping and she had decided she wanted a Traverse. We both liked them okay, but then the salesman suggested we try a tahoe, she was hooked. I, of course, wanted to research a bit and found this forum. It was then that I found out about the dreaded oil consumption and my brain began to spin at the thought of buying an oil burner and expensive repairs.

I have poured over forum posts and reviews and have basically come to the conclusion that I will probably stay in 2009 and newer year models. Then I saw that models manufactured after 2/2011 had an updated valve cover that is supposed to stave off oil consumption. As you can see, I have driven myself and my wife crazy with my research.

What I would like to know is this: am I making too much of this? Should I just find an '09 and newer tahoe with about 100K on the odometer and dive in? Should I up my budget and look for a 2011 with updated valve cover?

We are trying to stay in the $25K range but would prefer to spend less, of course. I'd appreciate a little help from some of the forum regulars here.

BTW, I am a habitual researcher of all things I plan to purchase such as motorcycles, guns, boats, etc.... The internet can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think that it is over rated, but the popular opinion on this forum is that the afm on these engines if the devil. I traded my 07 Tahoe LTZ in with 168k averaging about 20k miles/yr. I towed cross country with a trailer near capacity and shorter trips at or slightly above gcvw. I made many 1k+ milke trips. The Tahoe was bone stock. The worst oil consumption I saw was 1 qt low after about 3500 miles. I changed the oil every 5k miles and ran synthetic fluids. Plenty of other have had similar experience, so I know mine is not a one off.

You have a couple of other options that you did not mention.

Purchase a Tahoe prior to '11 and have the afm/dod disabled through an aftermarket tune.

Install or have the updated parts installed in a '07 -10 Tahoe.

gibbygsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to throw a wrench in the works but...
I have a 2013 5.3 and it was sippin a quart of oil every 2500 - 3000 miles. Of coarse it was "normal" as per the dealer. The range technology AFM delete fixed that problem.
They are good trucks for the most part if you can get over the few known issues. The dash boards cracking and oil consumption are probably the two big ones but right now mine has to go in for the heater buttons peeling and the defroster has broken off in the back window.
All cars have thier issues some worse than others. I think haveing a good dealer that will work with you if you have a problem would make the decision a little less steressfull. Good luck with whatever choice you go with.

OP
OP
B

bogey78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks so much for those replies. I had already planned on doing the AFM shutoff with the Range module and had planned on doing an updated valve cover. I think I just need to relax and find a good deal on a Tahoe and join the club.

Thanks again for.the help. If anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears.

kctyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go drive a Denali or Escalade. The 6.2 is a much better choice, and has AWD. Only gonna up your budget a few grand on the right deal....its only money!!

My opinion only.....have had both vehicles.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bogey78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2010 Yukon. 94K miles and has been well maintained. I definitely want this truck to last many miles. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Range Afm delete and give it a try.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tune it instead of using the Range. The tune will cost a more but will be well worth it esp. n the long run.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go drive a Denali or Escalade. The 6.2 is a much better choice, and has AWD. Only gonna up your budget a few grand on the right deal....its only money!!

My opinion only.....have had both vehicles.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

That's my opinion as well.

I looked at Tahoes and Yukons when shopping and surprisingly they were priced used around the same as an Escalade. The Escalade and Denali will also have the larger 6.2L engine.

Also the bonus with the earlier years is the Escalade and Denali got the new 6 speed automatic which is a much stronger unit than the 4L60 in the previous years and early years of the newer generation Tahoe. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the 6 speed made it into the Tahoe until at least 2009.

OP
OP
B

bogey78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Too late:) We bought a 2010 gmc yukon slt a few weeks ago. I've put about 1000 miles on it driving around and a work trip to the beach. Runs great and doesn't seem to have used any oil. It has right at 95K on it now. I just ordered the Range AFM disabler this morning and will plug it in as soon as I get it. I sure wish GM would have put an "ECO" button to turn afm on/off. Anyway, hopefully it will be a good vehicle for is for many years.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the tune vs. a module. The oil consumption is truck-specific. Our '10 PPV is fine, while others are not so good. Drive it and see if you need a catch can, or not. If you do, install it and don't look back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigburb3500