Look to join the family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a family SUV. I am a mopar man at heart but they have nothing as big as the GM lineup. I am eyeing up two Yukon XL Denalis and wanted some advice from those more knowledgeable with these vehicles.
I appreciate your thoughts/input/suggestions.

http://www.salemautosports.com/2010-GMC-YukonXL/Used-Wagon/Trevor-WI/11170584/Details.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/190061568372158

The red one looks cleaner. The only differences model year wise are that the 2010 has a USB port in the console storage. It also has the L94 6.2 with AFM. The 2009 has the L9H which does not have AFM, a big plus in my book, plus, comparing the two it is much cleaner and also has heated AND cooled seats and a 3rd row DVD player. Get the red one!

See if you can photos of the RPO sheets and or the VINs and decode them over at compnine for $5. Do you have a CarFax for each?

Last edited:

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2012 Yukon XL Denali a few days ago and immediately went on a road trip over the Grapevine here in California. About 700 miles round trip in 90-105 degree temps and over 5,000 feet in elevation. Ran great, addictive power. Great vehicles.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The red one looks cleaner. The only differences model year wise are that the 2010 has a USB port in the console storage. It also has the L94 6.2 with AFM. The 2009 has the L9H which does not have AFM, a big plus in my book, plus, comparing the two it is much cleaner and also has heated AND cooled seats and a 3rd row DVD player. Get the red one!

See if you can photos of the RPO sheets and or the VINs and decode them over at compnine for $5. Do you have a CarFax for each?

I agree with this. Say 'NO' to AFM!!!

OP
OP
K

Kunze12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am still learning about this AFM thing, but I am liking it to my former truck (09 Ram) in which it was advisable to deactivate the MSD. However, I am having trouble finding the info that tells me which models have AFM and which do not. I am thinking about taking the drive on wed. to look over the red one previously linked. But, perhaps I look at both if I have the time.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still learning about this AFM thing, but I am liking it to my former truck (09 Ram) in which it was advisable to deactivate the MSD. However, I am having trouble finding the info that tells me which models have AFM and which do not. I am thinking about taking the drive on wed. to look over the red one previously linked. But, perhaps I look at both if I have the time.

The L92 (2007-2008) and L9H (2009) 6.2 liter engines do not have AFM. The L94 (2010-2014) 6.2 liter engine has AFM. All of the 5.3 liter engines (2007-2014) have AFM. Cadillac Escalades and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL Denalis have 6.2 liter engines. GMC Yukons and Yukon XLs through SLT trim option, Tahoes and Suburbans all have the 5.3 liter engine. The only oddity was a handful of 2009 Tahoe LTZ models with the L9H. From 2007-2009 the GMC Yukon XL and Suburban also had the option of the L76 6.0 liter engine, quite uncommon.

AFM can be tuned out so while the hardware is still there, the system is not working and therefore may last longer without failing. Get that red one. As long as she has no major problems, get it.

When you're looking at the trucks, check the RPO sheet on the glovebox door. It will have these engine codes.

The L9H and L94 are Flex Fuel 6.2L engines. The LMG and LC9 are Flex Fuel 5.3L engines.

Forget all this, get that red Denali! LOL

OP
OP
K

Kunze12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Swathdiver,

Thanks for the that info. I appreciate your help. I really like the red one, I just need to convince the wife of it. She hates red vehicles for some reason, so I need to sell her on this one. I got her to agree to look at it so I am making progress!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swathdiver,

Thanks for the that info. I appreciate your help. I really like the red one, I just need to convince the wife of it. She hates red vehicles for some reason, so I need to sell her on this one. I got her to agree to look at it so I am making progress!

My rig is black on black and I love it, don't love cleaning it all the time though. My wife loves the red. The red one from the photos looks much cleaner and the price is great. It has 2 rear DVD players and heated and cooled seats, the leather looks to be in better condition too. The engine in the red one will be more reliable too as it does not have AFM, all great reasons to buy it. I wouldn't wait another hour, someone is going to ****** that one up quick. Hope it's you guys!

When you do see it and drive, check EVERYTHING out, all the knobs and switches and features, make sure they all work. Make sure the cruise control works. It is a common problem solved for $20 that if the light for the cruise is on but it does not work, there is a switch above the pedals that needs changing. The little cigar lighter covers can be replaced, you can buy an updated navigation disc (2016 last year) or replace the whole unit with an aftermarket one. Make sure the seats work, heat, cooling, all the ways. Look for evidence of leaks in doors, carpet, moonroof, etc. Check the undercarriage for rust. Surface is fine, rot, you'll have to decide. Y'all will like the power of the Denali too. They can get out of harm's way right quick!

Some of the guys with electronic suspension will chime in on what to look for with regards to the compressor and shocks and such. @Doubeleive @kbuskill @iamdub @scot moore @randeez @mikeyss @gpracer1 @Galante

Fellas, check out that Facebook link with the red Denali!

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My rig is black on black and I love it, don't love cleaning it all the time though. My wife loves the red. The red one from the photos looks much cleaner and the price is great. It has 2 rear DVD players and heated and cooled seats, the leather looks to be in better condition too. The engine in the red one will be more reliable too as it does not have AFM, all great reasons to buy it. I wouldn't wait another hour, someone is going to ****** that one up quick. Hope it's you guys!

When you do see it and drive, check EVERYTHING out, all the knobs and switches and features, make sure they all work. Make sure the cruise control works. It is a common problem solved for $20 that if the light for the cruise is on but it does not work, there is a switch above the pedals that needs changing. The little cigar lighter covers can be replaced, you can buy an updated navigation disc (2016 last year) or replace the whole unit with an aftermarket one. Make sure the seats work, heat, cooling, all the ways. Look for evidence of leaks in doors, carpet, moonroof, etc. Check the undercarriage for rust. Surface is fine, rot, you'll have to decide. Y'all will like the power of the Denali too. They can get out of harm's way right quick!

Some of the guys with electronic suspension will chime in on what to look for with regards to the compressor and shocks and such. @Doubeleive @kbuskill @iamdub @scot moore @randeez @mikeyss @gpracer1

Fellas, check out that Facebook link with the red Denali!

I am not a fan of red or the Yukon front end (looks like an oversized mini van to me) but the NON AFM 6.2L is hard to argue with.

As far as electronic ride control... just listen for the air compressor to turn on for a few seconds after start up. It should turn on for a few seconds then shut off. If you hear it running more frequently then there is a leak in the system somewhere, most likely the shocks. Not a deal breaker either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645