Longetivity of Your Applique Repair Method

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daugust32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All,

New here. I've looked through the forum and have read about many of your repairs to the window applique (the door window panels that get loose and come off). I'm curious as to how your repairs have held up whether it be 3m tape, silicone, etc.

If you wouldn't mind, post what your method was, how long it has held up, and if you would do anything differently.

About to tackle this on our 15 Suburban z71. I HATE doing things over; so, looking for your experiences!

sncourtesy

Reaction score
The reason they fail is because the double sided tape the use from the factory is garbage... I purchased some 3m double sided tape and used that along with a little dab of JB weld in the corners and have not had any issues... I work at a GMC store and the ones with the new double sided tape works just fine... I just ended up doing mine myself because the part at the time was on back order....

OP
OP
D

Daugust32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty much what I was planning on doing; but instead of jb I was going to use a little silicone adhesive. I also need to epoxy the top bracket back on where the screw goes into as it has separated on almost all 6 of the panels.

OP
OP
D

Daugust32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just thought I'd update my fix. I did this on all panels *these are not my pics, I copied them from another thread on this forum and made edits to show my method*

Almost all clips and the top bracket (screw portion) had separated from mine. I removed ALL clips completely from all of the panels. I then epoxied the top screw bracket back onto all six panels with a thick application of 5 minute epoxy. I let it sit, clamped, all night. The next morning I removed all residue circled in purple as it will interfere with my next step, 3m Automotive Double Sided Tape. In the 2nd picture, you'll see an area on both sides of the recessed area where the clips go into highlighted in red. Outside of this area, I placed a long strip almost from top to bottom of 3m tape on both sides outside of the recessed area. Also throwing this out for those that don't know; but, all surfaces where you're using 3m tape MUST BE COMPLETELY CLEAN or else it won't adhere at all. I washed each panel as well as the vehicle pillars, dried, and then cleaned with alcohol prior to installing the tape. Reinstall panels, push firmly where your tape resides, screw in top screw and done.

29466-680f310ef14d73482dc6715a35ca8f2d.jpg 29467-4bcc4d53c05cca835a18833b1f7738dc.jpg

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my wife a 2011 Escalade I mentioned to the dealer that they were ugly, that was all. When we picked it up they had put the stick-on glossy covers on. I appreciated their initiative, it was above and beyond service, even though that is NOT the way I do things. I am usually a factory repair/upgrade/perfectionist type. HOWEVER, a couple of years later and they still looked good plus I never had to spend any time messing with it and didn't spend a dime. Wife never once complained. Sometimes the simple solutions are the ones with the least headache.

Edit: realize you were talking about them falling off, sorry that does not apply.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667