Long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t think the OP is paying attention anyway.......lol

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm saying the cheap ones would be nearly impossible to make work on my truck, it's not that there's just some minor tweaking that would be needed. Like I said, if you're 2wd you have more options but if you look at mine, for instance, you'd see why those SE would not work. Not unless you want to go uncatted, and even then you'd be forever just trying to get a set of midpipes bent up. Sure the headers themselves would bolt up but good luck on the rest of it. Unless you've actually installed a set of headers on one of our trucks, especially a 4wd one, your opinion is pretty unbased. Go take a look at Tonyrodz's build thread where he tried installing the SE. He still doesn't have 4wd and probably never will unless he replaces those headers. Apologies if I offended you but I believe the OP should know all the facts before he gets into a situation where it gets ugly.
And I'm still pissed about that!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm saying the cheap ones would be nearly impossible to make work on my truck, it's not that there's just some minor tweaking that would be needed. Like I said, if you're 2wd you have more options but if you look at mine, for instance, you'd see why those SE would not work. Not unless you want to go uncatted, and even then you'd be forever just trying to get a set of midpipes bent up. Sure the headers themselves would bolt up but good luck on the rest of it. Unless you've actually installed a set of headers on one of our trucks, especially a 4wd one, your opinion is pretty unbased. Go take a look at Tonyrodz's build thread where he tried installing the SE. He still doesn't have 4wd and probably never will unless he replaces those headers. Apologies if I offended you but I believe the OP should know all the facts before he gets into a situation where it gets ugly.

No offense taken. True that I didn't specify that I was talking about 2WD vs. 4WD, but I was talking about 2WD. The OP stated his Tahoe was 2WD so I didn't think bringing up the 4WD fitment issues was relevant.

Yes, the OP should know all the facts and I believe he pretty well got that with everyone's replies on the first page:

*More expensive headers have less or no fitment issues and may be made of better material

*You can save a load of money with cheaper headers if you don't live in a salted area and if you don't mind possibly having to tweak them for fitment

*Cheap or expensive long tube headers will result in better performance over stock manifolds

*Cheap or expensive headers will result in about the same sound, primarily dependent upon thickness of material used

*A tune is best, but not absolutely necessary after headers

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely missed the OP was running 2wd, for some reason I thought he had 4wd. D'oh. That was a great post @iamdub - nothing left unanswered! :beer:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all good. I understand how long tubes is a touchy and sore subject for you 4WD guys.
Oh man there you go again stirring the pot lmao. Theyre not a problem if you get the right ones. My AR's were extremely easy to install. And I'm not the type to go the cheap route on anything anyway so all the talk about the $300 headers doesn't matter to me. Even if they did fit, I'd never put them on my truck. It's just that you 2wd guys sometimes forget there are differences in our trucks so having been there and done that I try to make sure the bases are covered for the rest of the (4wd,) world.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no problems with my long tubes and 4x4 on my 01 Denali. I just made a new Y pipe and had plenty of room for my front drive line. You don't have to have 2in of clearance to the shaft because it doesn't move up and down.