Locking center differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garandman

Reaction score
We have a 2016 Tahoe LT with Max Towing Package. Max Towing includes high and low range 4WD.

Does putting the truck in low range lock the center differential? Can’t find any reference too that in the manual, just a general warning about driving on hard road sufaces. For that matter haven’t been able to find much technical detail on the 4WD system.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does putting the truck in low range lock the center differential? Can’t find any reference too that in the manual, just a general warning about driving on hard road sufaces. For that matter haven’t been able to find much technical detail on the 4WD system.

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the K2 uses the MP3023 transfer case, RPO NQH. You can download a number of pdfs that describe how it operates and how to improve them and such.

AJMBLAZER

Reaction score
We have a 2016 Tahoe LT with Max Towing Package. Max Towing includes high and low range 4WD.

No, the G80 rear Locker always works no matter what position the transfer case is in.

OP
OP
Garandman

Garandman

Reaction score
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the K2 uses the MP3023 transfer case, RPO NQH. You can download a number of pdfs that describe how it operates and how to improve them and such.
The MP3023 seems to be the rear differential, not the transfer case?

I am asking about the transfer case, specifically if it can be locked, or is locked by default in low range.

Imagine the rear wheels were on a frictionless surface and front wheels had perfect traction. If we engaged 4WD Hi, would the vehicle move? 4WD Low?

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Reaction score
The MP3023 seems to be the rear differential, not the transfer case?

I am asking about the transfer case, specifically if it can be locked, or is locked by default in low range.

Imagine the rear wheels were on a frictionless surface and front wheels had perfect traction. If we engaged 4WD Hi, would the vehicle move? 4WD Low?
The MP3023 is the transfer case.
Rear axle is a AAMCo 9.5” or 9.76” 12 bolt.

The transfer case has nothing to do with the operation of the G80 Eaton Gov-Lock locking differential in the rear axle. They put the same locker in the 2wd’s.

In your scenario the front tires would pull your vehicle forward while the back tires spun.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MP3023 is the transfer case.
Rear axle is a AAMCo 9.5” or 9.76” 12 bolt.

The transfer case has nothing to do with the operation of the G80 Eaton Gov-Lock locking differential in the rear axle. They put the same locker in the 2wd’s.

In your scenario the front tires would pull your vehicle forward while the back tires spun.
I think you are asking if the front and rear are “locked” together in 4 wheel drive. Yes. If you jack up one end of the vehicle with 4wd engaged, either end wheel will attempt to move your vehicle.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never heard of a transfer case that did this on your average DD.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2-speed transfer cases have no "center" differential. There are clutches to engage the front axle--or not--based on wheel slip, etc. Auto lets the computer decide when to engage the clutches.

4WD Hi and LO engage the clutches automatically locking the front and rear driveshafts together and you have a true 4WD system.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s how every conventional transfer case works. It divides the power from front to back 50/50.

Sorry, I had my head completely up my ass making that statement. Loosing my marbles...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu