Steering Wheel Locked and No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's weird here is that the second key fob did start and fix the problem.

3BigDogs

Reaction score
Look I'm familiar with steering column locks, as you said been around for a long time. And when you start the vehicle or turn the key it unlocks. I posted this about the column lock binding up, not about the fact the steering locks when you turn off the vehicle. I have never had a column lock bind up where the steering wheel would not budge and the vehicle was inoperable. I posted what was in the manual to point out the fact that if you turn the wheels and turn the vehicle off the lock could bind up. When that column lock became free the pop was so loud I thought it broke the column and there was no turning the column back and forth to free the lock. Now there are many times when you may need to turn the wheels and shut the vehicle off, like doing brake work or in my case with the mudflaps. Ive also seen people in very hilly areas turn their wheels to the curb when parking. I just think it is pretty absurd that even the manual suggest's that you always straighten the wheels before shutting the vehicle off, I learned something about this and posting this maybe make some other people aware that this can happen, :cool:
I'm dealing with this issue Now! No One has been able to unbind the steering wheel! It's a 2000 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3L. There's very little room to turn it. My keys-original and spare won't turn the ignition at all! I just bought a new Ignition lock with keys. I'm hoping this will fix the problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm dealing with this issue Now! No One has been able to unbind the steering wheel! It's a 2000 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3L. There's very little room to turn it. My keys-original and spare won't turn the ignition at all! I just bought a new Ignition lock with keys. I'm hoping this will fix the problem.
you will most likely need to just keep trying by pulling VERY h-a-r-d on the steering in the same driection the wheels are already turned while turning the key, you might even need 2 people. one to pull on the steering wheel and another to turn the key (at the same time).
keep trying until it come's loose.

it should be noted that your issue although similar is different because these newer garbarge vehicles have a electronic lock and yours (2000) is a physical interlocking pin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz