LM2 Break In?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capsaicin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Approximately how long does it take for the Lm2 Duramax to break in. I've heard it can take about 2k miles for the compression to build before you see better MPGs and power. Does that sound right?

Also what is the best way to drive the Tahoe w/ the Lm2 to maximize efficiency?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh …I don’t think so….
On my previous eco-diesel FCA unit they said it would be at least 40,000 miles to be fully broken in, unless you towed frequently. Then it could possibly be reduced to 20,000. These are long-term built engines, let’s just say they are 300,000 mile engines, it certainly wouldn’t be uncommon to take 10% of that to break in fully…

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither of these engine have any noticeable mileage change (I have both) based on break in. They both have the typical vary the engine rpm and load for first 500 miles deal.
Who at FCA said it takes at least 40k miles to 'break in' an ecoDiesel? They must be building their cylinder walls and rings out of something they pulled off a comet :)

Seriously tho, none of these motors are 'breaking in' after a tank of diesel or two, those rings are seated. If they weren't you'd have oil consumption and engine block pressure issues like crazy.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
It’s never about engine break in… engines are properly broken in as part of assembly process in the factory. Go easy for first 1500 miles is about overall drivetrain and also operator to get good handle on the vehicle.
Topic of discussion ad nauseam in corvette forum.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s never about engine break in… engines are properly broken in as part of assembly process in the factory. Go easy for first 1500 miles is about overall drivetrain and also operator to get good handle on the vehicle.
Topic of discussion ad nauseam in corvette forum.
Sorry, but diesels are different…..takes a good while to get full efficiency from them…..

booyaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to drive it for efficiency? Drive 35-55mph on flat roads, slow accelerations, coast into stop lights/signs, and keep the auto start/stop feature activated.

OP
OP
Capsaicin

Capsaicin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I averaged nearly 28 mph on a family trip from the Nashville area to Eureka Springs, AR. Lots of highways and mountain roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts