Lifter tick and performance cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lifter tick slowly getting worse in my '04 4.8. Looking at a Texas speed cam 2004 GMC Yukon TSP Stage 1 Low Lift Truck Camshaft (208/214, .550/.550, 112 LSA). What I'm wondering is if aftermarket cams are better than OEM for coming apart shedding metal from the lobes or whatever it it they do?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lifter tick slowly getting worse in my '04 4.8. Looking at a Texas speed cam 2004 GMC Yukon TSP Stage 1 Low Lift Truck Camshaft (208/214, .550/.550, 112 LSA). What I'm wondering is if aftermarket cams are better than OEM for coming apart shedding metal from the lobes or whatever it it they do?
Interesting question. I don't really know the material of aftermarket cams compared to OEM, but I wonder if they are the same?

I figured what causes the camshaft lobes to fail is actually the lifters themselves, no? IDK if aggressive cams also contribute to this or not. I'm thinking stock to mild cams. Never wondered about that actually...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lifter tick slowly getting worse in my '04 4.8L
If this question is a distraction, please feel free to ignore ...
Why not 5.3L or 6.0L?
What I'm wondering is, if aftermarket cams are better than OEM for coming apart shedding metal from the lobes or whatever it is they do?
Good question.
In my opinion, GM should be ashamed of any engine that does not make it past 200,000 miles.
That said, GM CamSHAFT failures are not common.
Lifter / pushrod / rocker / valvespring failures are far more likely.
Lifters tend to damage cams far more often than the reverse.

Personally do not know if aftermarket cams are famous for lasting as long -
but I'd not be surprised if aftermarket cams - or any other aftermarket valvetrain parts - don't last as long due to increased aggression of the camshaft profile.

Parenthetical ...
Not too long ago, Ferrari had an engine with Variable Valve Lift, where the cam profile and springs were designed so that, above a certain RpM acceleration, the camshaft and the lifter would momentarily separate from each other.

OP
OP
asand

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this question is a distraction, please feel free to ignore ...
Why not 5.3L or 6.0L?Good question.
In my opinion, GM should be ashamed of any engine that does not make it past 200,000 miles.
That said, GM CamSHAFT failures are not common.
Lifter / pushrod / rocker / valvespring failures are far more likely.
Lifters tend to damage cams far more often than the reverse.

Personally do not know if aftermarket cams are famous for lasting as long -
but I'd not be surprised if aftermarket cams - or any other aftermarket valvetrain parts - don't last as long due to increased aggression of the camshaft profile.

Parenthetical ...
Not too long ago, Ferrari had an engine with Variable Valve Lift, where the cam profile and springs were designed so that, above a certain RpM acceleration, the camshaft and the lifter would momentarily separate from each other.
I would love to do a 6.0, but I dont think the 4L60E would love it with 3.73 gears and 33's. Also I would want to put a cam in while im doing it. Too much money for a guy living paycheck to paycheck. I could just drive it till it blows and do a bone stick 6.0 and TH400 i guess.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to do a 6.0L, but I don't think the 4L60E would love it with 3.73 and 33's.
Depends on how you drive it. In my case, the bigger the engine, the LESS I'd need to put the beans to it.
I'd stress / abuse a 6.0L much less and far less often than a 5.3L.
That said, yes, I'd agree that the 4L60E is a light duty transmission ...
UNLESS the 4L60E is rebuilt to withstand working or playing HARD.
Also I'd want to put a cam in while i'm doing it.
Too much money for a guy living paycheck to paycheck.
Since I'm actively against ever exceeding 6000RpM, I'd rather install a bigger (better?) engine than a bigger (better?) cam.
I could just drive it till it blows and do a bone stock 6.0L and TH400 i guess?
I hope you meant 4L80E, instead of 3L80E?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve had and seen plenty of bent pushrods broken valve springs and scored lifted I’ve never seen a cam mess up though and some of my buddy have beat the dog shit out of their trucks with built motors stage 4 cams anytime they have broke it so far it’s just been as simple as dropping a new pushrod in and sending it! I plan to do a Texas speed cam in my Tahoe when I do the dod delete on this new 5.3 I got for her.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do a 6.0, but I dont think the 4L60E would love it with 3.73 gears and 33's. Also I would want to put a cam in while im doing it. Too much money for a guy living paycheck to paycheck. I could just drive it till it blows and do a bone stick 6.0 and TH400 i guess.
Or a 4L80e... it's pretty simple on a 2wd truck. (4L80e is pretty much the TH400 with OD and controlled by your ECU with a simple reflash.)

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or a 4L80e... it's pretty simple on a 2wd truck. (4L80e is pretty much the TH400 with OD and controlled by your ECU with a simple reflash.)
And repin of connector( or buy the 60e to 80e jumper connector), and adding a few wires then pinning them to the ecm for the ISS. And different flexplate.
Don't get me wrong, I fully believe any upgrades and a fella should look into a 80e before getting a stage 65 built 60e. But, there is more to it than a reflash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667