Lift with bilstein shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you made a decision on how high youre going? Coil spacers or no? Hard to answer that without that decision being made

i go the z71 springs so i thought i didnt need the spacers...getting everything else in the messages listed before

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i go the z71 springs so i thought i didnt need the spacers...getting everything else in the messages listed before

You don't "need" spacers. Like I said before, that's personal preference. I just wasn't sure what you had decided.

My tires are 275/70r18. Theyre just over 33in tall. I think the general consensus is that you shouldn't go over a 33" tire on a leveling kit. As far as width goes, 285s are very common (285/65r18) but more expensive than the 275s. I've heard of people running tires as wide as a 305 on a newer body style OEM wheel, but I personally think that would rub.

Do you know what wheels you are going to go with? Backspacing makes a big difference in how wide of a tire you can fit.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 Yukon 4x4, with the Nivomat shocks rear.
So I’m planning on leaving the rear at stock height.
Eventually, I want to replace my Nivomat shocks with Bilstein 5100’s.
I’m planning to just level the front, so expect that to come up about 2”. I’m going to get the Bilstein 5100 24-186643 for fronts, and also got a Moto Fab 2” level keys with shock extenders, but I don’t think I’ll need the extenders with the 5100 shocks.
Can I just replace the rear Nivomat shocks with the Bilstein shocks, or do I also need stiffer/ longer springs? I’ve got some OEM 2015 18” Yukon wheels I’ll be swapping to, and would like to run 275 / 70 18 tires. Anyone know if this will fit on factory height rear, with +2” front level?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't "need" spacers. Like I said before, that's personal preference. I just wasn't sure what you had decided.

My tires are 275/70r18. Theyre just over 33in tall. I think the general consensus is that you shouldn't go over a 33" tire on a leveling kit. As far as width goes, 285s are very common (285/65r18) but more expensive than the 275s. I've heard of people running tires as wide as a 305 on a newer body style OEM wheel, but I personally think that would rub.

Do you know what wheels you are going to go with? Backspacing makes a big difference in how wide of a tire you can fit.
That looks freaking perfect by the way.. [emoji106][emoji16]

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

can you tell me the pros and cons of spacers? i have the factory 17's on mine now and nittos but once those tires give out i want to go to the american racing rims the barrell hole ones. i liked my nitto grapplers alot, i think i would go with those or something similar with alot of meat on the tire. as much as i can get without going to MT types lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
2003 Yukon 4x4, with the Nivomat shocks rear.
So I’m planning on leaving the rear at stock height.
Eventually, I want to replace my Nivomat shocks with Bilstein 5100’s.
I’m planning to just level the front, so expect that to come up about 2”. I’m going to get the Bilstein 5100 24-186643 for fronts, and also got a Moto Fab 2” level keys with shock extenders, but I don’t think I’ll need the extenders with the 5100 shocks.
Can I just replace the rear Nivomat shocks with the Bilstein shocks, or do I also need stiffer/ longer springs? I’ve got some OEM 2015 18” Yukon wheels I’ll be swapping to, and would like to run 275 / 70 18 tires. Anyone know if this will fit on factory height rear, with +2” front level?

@rgosart did it with just z71 springs, I believe.

I also found this:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/need-pics-of-1-1-5-lifts.34384/#post-407751

And , although a K2, this:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/285s-on-a-2017.89434/#post-1088645

I will find out soon anyways, as I just dropped off wheels for mount and balance of these...white out, of course!
20191030_201535.jpg

I will attempt them with my stock setup (z71) first, then with a key crank. Bilstiens are in the plan, but will wait until the spring, if possible. I'll decide about rear height once I see how it all fits. Will report as I go.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@rgosart did it with just z71 springs, I believe.

I also found this:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/need-pics-of-1-1-5-lifts.34384/#post-407751

And , although a K2, this:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/285s-on-a-2017.89434/#post-1088645

I will find out soon anyways, as I just dropped off wheels for mount and balance of these...white out, of course!
View attachment 233671

I will attempt them with my stock setup (z71) first, then with a key crank. Bilstiens are in the plan, but will wait until the spring, if possible. I'll decide about rear height once I see how it all fits. Will report as I go.
Thanks @HiHoeSilver. I love the way @rgosart turned out, but he did a lift in the rear as well. I was hoping to leave the rear as stock height. (Technically not lifted I guess, just the Z71 springs) I was just wanting to not lift the rear any further. I’ll have to measure, I guess the Z71 springs will bring the rear up another inch or so.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks @HiHoeSilver. I love the way @rgosart turned out, but he did a lift in the rear as well. I was hoping to leave the rear as stock height. (Technically not lifted I guess, just the Z71 springs) I was just wanting to not lift the rear any further. I’ll have to measure, I guess the Z71 springs will bring the rear up another inch or so.

You are correct. Mine is a Z already, so we'll see how it goes.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got 1.5" or so out of the new z71 springs over my worn out stock springs. I've never had a truck with autoride, but I don't see any reason you would need to replace the springs to convert it. Don't use the extenders if you have 5100s. The issue is if you bottom out your suspension with the extenders on you'll probably damage the shocks because they will be fully compressed before the suspension bottoms out. Like I said to @HiHoeSilver in another thread, I put my wheel and tire setup on my friends stock height 05 crew cab denali and it cleared. No reason you need the additional lift, I just wanted the extra height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10