Lift with bilstein shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you tell me the pros and cons of spacers? i have the factory 17's on mine now and nittos but once those tires give out i want to go to the american racing rims the barrell hole ones. i liked my nitto grapplers alot, i think i would go with those or something similar with alot of meat on the tire. as much as i can get without going to MT types lol

If you're going with a bullet hole wheel, odds are you'll have less offset which makes the tire stick out further. This increases the chances that you'll have issues rubbing the front bumper and fender liner. I can't tell you how much offset you can get away with, but I will say that even with stock (+34 I think) backspacing mine is really close to the bumper.

20191103_224508.jpg

I'll do my best to answer your question about spacers but it really is a personal preference.''

Pro- More lift
Con- Front needs to be higher to make the truck level. This may not sound like a bad thing but you can only go so far before the upper control arms will not have any down travel and the truck will ride like crap. Im not willing to give up a decent ride for any more lift so I chose not to add any more lift to the rear. I also left about 1/2" of rake in my truck because I tow with it somewhat regularly and I didn't want it to squat in the rear with weight on it.

Im really happy with mine and it's exactly what I wanted, but I may have gone with more lift if I didn't tow with it and I didn't care about it fitting in the garage. If you have a 7' garage door like I do, you don't want to go any higher. My antenna drags on the weatherstripping around the garage door so it is pretty close.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 1.5" or so out of the new z71 springs over my worn out stock springs. I've never had a truck with autoride, but I don't see any reason you would need to replace the springs to convert it. Don't use the extenders if you have 5100s. The issue is if you bottom out your suspension with the extenders on you'll probably damage the shocks because they will be fully compressed before the suspension bottoms out. Like I said to @HiHoeSilver in another thread, I put my wheel and tire setup on my friends stock height 05 crew cab denali and it cleared. No reason you need the additional lift, I just wanted the extra height.
Nice. Thanks! So I might be able to get away with the 5100’s in the rear with no different springs.. that would be great. Although I love the way yours looks, I’d like to try keeping the rear stock height and only bringing the front up enough to level. If I can fit 275 / 70 18’s in as well, that’s perfect. May be worth getting the Z71 springs to have on hand just in case.. then I could pop those in and crank the keys a bit. [emoji106][emoji16]

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks! So I might be able to get away with the 5100’s in the rear with no different springs.. that would be great. Although I love the way yours looks, I’d like to try keeping the rear stock height and only bringing the front up enough to level. If I can fit 275 / 70 18’s in as well, that’s perfect. May be worth getting the Z71 springs to have on hand just in case.. then I could pop those in and crank the keys a bit. [emoji106][emoji16]

I thought thai the ninvomat shocks used a much softer spring that needs to be changed if you go with a regular shock. I may be wrong. Plenty of discussion around here about it to check me.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought thai the ninvomat shocks used a much softer spring that needs to be changed if you go with a regular shock. I may be wrong. Plenty of discussion around here about it to check me.

I also thought the spring setup on an autoride truck was different than the LS/LT setup. Check around and verify. I know there are multiple threads on it. @Sam Harris, if you need stock springs send me a message. You can have mine for the cost of shipping.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Do you have zw7 & g65?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also thought the spring setup on an autoride truck was different than the LS/LT setup. Check around and verify. I know there are multiple threads on it. @Sam Harris, if you need stock springs send me a message. You can have mine for the cost of shipping.
Yes. Auto ride springs are softer. Most people swap springs. Z71 springs are taller.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That’s a great offer. I’m not sure what shipping would be.. pretty heavy. I’m in 80602.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yes, I have both. And this is also what I had heard, regarding the softer springs. Sounds like I’ll be better off just getting the Z71 springs after all.

Thanks! That’s a great offer. I’m not sure what shipping would be.. pretty heavy. I’m in 80602.

Id just go z71. I think you'll pay to ship the stock springs, and then be buying Z ones anyways, honestly. I just picked up my wheels, and no pic (dark), but I set them "in place" just to "see." I think they'll fit, but barely. My z springs are 13 years old, so probably a little lower than new, but man, it's CLOSE. LOL.

Will mess around sometime this week and see what I need to do. I will say this, the 275/70/r18 grabber atx look like everything I hoped they would. My daughter saw them and was like, "whoa, dad..." :party36::pepper::party36::pepper: