Lift limitations in Massachusetts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBScenity

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2005 Z71 that I'm looking to put a mechanical lift on and larger tires. Only problem is I live in, and the vehicle is registered in, MA. Massachusetts has a mathematical equation for maximum lift on 4x4 vehicles: wheelbase x wheel track (outside edge of tire to outside edge of tire) / 2200 = X" of lift allowable. I can't find an exact measurement of factory wheel track width using that definition (I'll measure later myself unless someone has the #) - but I estimate that I can legally have 4" of mechanical lift. They also allow X" of tire lift using that same number. The good news is a violation to ride height has to be >1" before they can punish you for it, so right now I'm looking at the BDS 4 1/2" lift kit.

My questions are 1 - anyone here from MA and have you had any bad experiences getting stickers with their new stricter inspection procedures rolled out in October?

2. Anyone have any experience with the BDS lift kits? Are there any other 4" kits you'd recommend?

3. With a 4" lift, will I be able to fit 35"s (wheel spacers are also illegal in MA)?

Any other ideas or recommendations appreciated!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not have an answer to your question but that has to be the craziest law/s I have ever heard of and no idea how you would even enforce it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo throw on 2in wheel spacers to widen your stance???
I think it is all based off factory specs which is what gets me. How would a LEO be able to know the full specs on every vehicle or is this an inspection thing? Even an inspection thing is crazy to know all the different specs.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's an inspection thing.... unless ypu really pissed off a LEO that is car savvy lol

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is all based off factory specs which is what gets me. How would a LEO be able to know the full specs on every vehicle or is this an inspection thing? Even an inspection thing is crazy to know all the different specs.

Well, poop

OP
OP
O

OBScenity

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sooo throw on 2in wheel spacers to widen your stance???
Wheel spacers are also illegal in MA period. You can increase your wheel track by up to 4" using larger tires/wheels though - but that doesn't get you much in the equation, it works out to like an extra 1/4"

Man f my state huh? New Hampshire is looking better and better every day...

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a state that has no lift laws (that I am aware of anyways) it baffles me that they would have such a complicated system.

I grew up in Ma but I'm happily living in VA and will not go back haha. But as an LEO I wouldn't pull anyone over for being lifted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu