Lift limitations in Massachusetts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have an answer to your question but that has to be the craziest law/s I have ever heard of and no idea how you would even enforce it.

Enforced upon inspection, and DOT cops (the buggers in the all black, unmarked fords with portable scales and enough tools and power to **** you for a long time) can and will pull people over and break out tape measures if they're having a bad day. Not common but not unheard of on crazy tall trucks.
Same with tint, it's a safety violation and you cannot drive the vehicle at all. (Red R rejected sticker)
You can get towed and impounded for a lifted truck, tinted windows, even a plate that isn't reflective enough.
"Public Safety" lol

Never used to be a problem when you could walk into midas with 60 bucks instead of 30 and walk out to your lifted, straight piped truck and put the sticker on yourself on the tinted windshield.
Now they film every inspection and do periodic check-ins on stations remotely. Cheaper than sting operations apparently.

MA has ridiculous laws about everything. Knives, trucks, cars, guns, liquor, you name it. Towns are even worse. They just slowly chip away at things on the fringe that don't affect too many people. The average idiot doesn't know, let alone care. If they hear about it in passing they'll just suck up the BS excuse that it's "public safety"

You'd expect more from the birthplace of the revolution.

Sooo throw on 2in wheel spacers to widen your stance???

100 percent illegal in ma (so I guess dually's are illegal?? lol)

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/19/540cmr6.pdf
I'd refer to the states actual laws posted online. Liftlaws.com is nice but won't get you out of a ticket (or worse). The data is also incomplete. Doesn't talk about track width laws, or the tire size formula and says there is no frame height regulation. Also doesn't address the 2"/formula inconsistency.

OP- That formula is capped now.
540 CMR 6.01 said:
(1) The purpose of 540 CMR 6.00 is to provide rules and regulations for altering the height of four wheel drive motor vehicles by elevating or lowering the chassis or body more than two inches above or below the original manufacturer's height.

The law reads very poorly. (Your tax dollars at work)
One part says 2", the next says formula. Most people I've talked to have taken it to mean abide by the formula unless the total is more than two inches.

As for new regulations- I used to have about 10 places I could get a "lick and stick" wink-and-nod-type inspection. Now I have maybe one. Stations are scared because anyone could be watching at any time.

If you can find a place to inspect you, and you're willing to take the risk, go for it. Nobody really knows yet how stringent they are on enforcing the laws (or how the law works). There used to be a million lifted truck around that got few tickets. I'm listening to the grapevine to see how hard they're coming down on people. My guess is 4 inches (especially on GM's, which are pretty low to start) will probably be fine, but you'll run into issues when you start getting into 6, 9, and taller lifts.

But like I said, the new inspections and the new rule are... new. Nobody really knows how hard they'll come down on it, and it may (will) vary town to town. There isn't the lifted truck scene here that is say, in florida or california, but there are a ton of lifted and modified trucks, and I haven't heard of a mass run on autozone to get mufflers, dpfs, egrs, stock springs, and lighter window tint.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i were you i'd walk into the local inspection shop there and start asking lots of questions. if any one knows what the rules are they had best know.

if you lived here in NJ where theres a tilt test and a certification you need. sounds like a lot of fun. here your tires "can not pass the fender flair" i got that ticket for a inch sticking out.

OP
OP
O

OBScenity

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

One part says 2", the next says formula. Most people I've talked to have taken it to mean abide by the formula unless the total is more than two inches..

What do you mean by it's "capped now"?

Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 7P of the MA General Laws is where the 2"+/- ride height rule, but it makes specific allowance for the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to make other regulations to height changes beyond the 2" (https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section7P) which is where 540 CMR (the Registry of Motor Vehicles, Section 6.00: Alteration of Motor Vehicle Height comes in: (https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/19/540cmr6.pdf) That's the additional regulation from the Registrar allowing the formula to be used for increased ride height specifically for 4x4 vehicles.

So...back to my original question - does anyone have experience with the 4 1/2" BDS lift kit, and do you think I could fit 35s with it?

Thanks for the feedback!

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you florida! Oh... uh... sorry, brother. You’re more than welcome in the sunshine state.

85B209B0-2875-4B5B-9CF9-2B7BAD0CB856.png

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enforced upon inspection, and DOT cops (the buggers in the all black, unmarked fords with portable scales and enough tools and power to **** you for a long time) can and will pull people over and break out tape measures if they're having a bad day. Not common but not unheard of on crazy tall trucks.
Same with tint, it's a safety violation and you cannot drive the vehicle at all. (Red R rejected sticker)
You can get towed and impounded for a lifted truck, tinted windows, even a plate that isn't reflective enough.
"Public Safety" lol

Never used to be a problem when you could walk into midas with 60 bucks instead of 30 and walk out to your lifted, straight piped truck and put the sticker on yourself on the tinted windshield.
Now they film every inspection and do periodic check-ins on stations remotely. Cheaper than sting operations apparently.

MA has ridiculous laws about everything. Knives, trucks, cars, guns, liquor, you name it. Towns are even worse. They just slowly chip away at things on the fringe that don't affect too many people. The average idiot doesn't know, let alone care. If they hear about it in passing they'll just suck up the BS excuse that it's "public safety"

You'd expect more from the birthplace of the revolution.

100 percent illegal in ma (so I guess dually's are illegal?? lol)

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/19/540cmr6.pdf
I'd refer to the states actual laws posted online. Liftlaws.com is nice but won't get you out of a ticket (or worse). The data is also incomplete. Doesn't talk about track width laws, or the tire size formula and says there is no frame height regulation. Also doesn't address the 2"/formula inconsistency.

One part says 2", the next says formula. Most people I've talked to have taken it to mean abide by the formula unless the total is more than two inches.

As for new regulations- I used to have about 10 places I could get a "lick and stick" wink-and-nod-type inspection. Now I have maybe one. Stations are scared because anyone could be watching at any time.

If you can find a place to inspect you, and you're willing to take the risk, go for it. Nobody really knows yet how stringent they are on enforcing the laws (or how the law works). There used to be a million lifted truck around that got few tickets. I'm listening to the grapevine to see how hard they're coming down on people. My guess is 4 inches (especially on GM's, which are pretty low to start) will probably be fine, but you'll run into issues when you start getting into 6, 9, and taller lifts.

But like I said, the new inspections and the new rule are... new. Nobody really knows how hard they'll come down on it, and it may (will) vary town to town. There isn't the lifted truck scene here that is say, in florida or california, but there are a ton of lifted and modified trucks, and I haven't heard of a mass run on autozone to get mufflers, dpfs, egrs, stock springs, and lighter window tint.

Whaaat?! Geez, it’s like a miniature mini California. I’m sorry. I got a Army buddy from Fitchburg, I don’t know if I spelled that right?

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whaaat?! Geez, it’s like a miniature mini California. I’m sorry. I got a Army buddy from Fitchburg, I don’t know if I spelled that right?

It’s worse.
Yeah fitchburg is like 30 minutes north of me.
That’s probably one of the easier to spell towns here.
Worcester, gloucester, peabody, billercia, etc lol.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s worse.
Yeah fitchburg is like 30 minutes north of me.
That’s probably one of the easier to spell towns here.
Worcester, gloucester, peabody, billercia, etc lol.

lol yeah I noticed that when I went up there. And trying to pronounce them is even worse

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
What do you mean by it's "capped now"?

Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 7P of the MA General Laws is where the 2"+/- ride height rule, but it makes specific allowance for the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to make other regulations to height changes beyond the 2" (https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section7P) which is where 540 CMR (the Registry of Motor Vehicles, Section 6.00: Alteration of Motor Vehicle Height comes in: (https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/19/540cmr6.pdf) That's the additional regulation from the Registrar allowing the formula to be used for increased ride height specifically for 4x4 vehicles.

So...back to my original question - does anyone have experience with the 4 1/2" BDS lift kit, and do you think I could fit 35s with it?

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes they could fit with some trimming otherwise stick with 33s or 34s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345