Left Driver Side Front Door Panel 2004 Gmc Is broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bareedon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think from looking it is the plastic retainer on the door panel side for that piece, where it attaches on the posterior portion to the door panel. I have that problem on both sides, you have to replace the panel. <sigh> There's not a replaceable clip there, it's a plastic piece that's molded in - unless you want to try to fab something, which would be difficult, as you can't permanently attach it. At least I don't think so.

<edit> I bought a pair of door panels on Egay, didn't realize until I got them that they had those plastic arms that hold them to the metal doorskin broken, too. What a waste of $200. Those door panels are a PITA.
You are right, we have to replace the whole panel.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a bunch of door panels off a guy that went out of business. I'm in Dallas, Texas -- where are you located?

I can send detailed photos if we can figure out how to get them to you for a reasonable price. They are dusty as eff, but are either NOS or recoveries in excellent condition. The guy would use them to refurbish the trucks he was converting to diesel (Sierra/Silverado/Suburban/Yukon).

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a quick search of the salvage yards all over, connected in this network online...

Search for anything, set the search radius and see what is out there.

Three panels came up within reasonable driving distance...
Prices for panels at these yards range from about $150 to $262 (+ 1 said "call").
Not terrible for OE parts.

Craigslist and FB Marketplace are good places to look for people parting out vehicles near you.
Might find something cheaper than salvage yards, even.
Worth a shot.

Webster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your GMC dealer may be able to order one. When mine broke last year, there were a few in stock. I also some some avail on Amazon. Last, as others have suggested, try auto recyclers. You may have to use one that has nationwide connections. All that said, I just secured mine with clear silicon adhesive and it's going strong.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny... mine just broke in the same exact place when I was trying to pry out my window switch. I hate the idea of having to replace the ENTIRE panel for one stupid clip... I'm gonna fab up something to hold it in place. Was thinking of hot glue, but then I figure it might melt in the summer heat when it's parked outside.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The driver's door switch bezel on 2003 and 2004 (maybe also 2005-06) is held by a clip on one end and a screw on the other, IIRC. The door panel has to be removed to get at the screw; prying will break off the screw tower. Ask me how I know....

Before:

Bezel_resized.jpg

After repair using Q-Bond:

bezel3_resized-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is broken, too. It's just held on by silicon, right now. When the door panel is removed, a razor will remove the silicon. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 2.12.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 2.12.33 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...you all are saying it's not the bezel itself, but something inside the door panel that's broken??? My panels are great looking. There has to be some other fix???

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks to be only the armrest needs to be replaced, not the entire panel. That plastic breaks all the time.
That's what it looks like to me too...same problem I have on mine! In the picture of the underside of the armrests I posted, you can see what the slots are supposed to look like in the white plastic. And you can see that they are far too easy to break off! But after doing a bunch of research, it does look like only the arm rest needs to be replaced...and they are available on ebay! As are the bezels, in case you broke the front screw too. Any idea how to R&R the arm rests?
I'm guess I'm going to have to buy a set of armrests with the tabs intact. How can I reinforce the tabs? Or does looking at the pic give anyone an idea of how to fix them?tahoe armrest.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd