LED lights for license plate light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gang,
Have any of you replaced your license plate lights with LEDs? I'd like to get a really clean white (4300k) but there are so many styles to choose from, I'm not sure what would be best.

Lots of folks use superbrightleds.com, so here are their selections of #194 LEDs as a point of reference:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

TIA

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
if you jump over to the interior section theres a few threads. I did mine today, so i havent seen the results as of yet.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ones did you use? I'm mostly curious to find out what fits inside those tiny housings. Most LEDs are bulkier than standard bulbs, and I can't tell how much spare room there is inside the housings.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cool, thanks. How well do they light up your plate?

Ignoring the typo (6 kelvin?), I found this a little debatable:

...similar to white/blue 6k HID lighting found on many high-end cars...

I'm fairly certain that most if not all factory HID headlights are 4300k. That's about the closest to daylight. My understanding is that the blue appearance with 4300k is only visible when viewed from certain angles. 6000k bulbs would be somewhat blue when viewed from any angle.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

BTW, dig your avatar, haks310 :)

Last edited:

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
No problem.

Typo?

Just about all OEM HID lights are 4300K, it offers the most amount of usable light, highest amount of lumens than any other color temperature. 3200 lumens compared to the 2400 lumens 6000K gives out.

I am running a pair of V-LED parking light LEDs which are also 6000K and they make my 4300K HIDs look yellowish.

Edit: Thanks, those are the parking lights I am talking about.

0324091929-00.jpg

0331092127-01.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem.

Typo?

Oh, I was referring to the webpage, where it said "similar to white/blue 6k HID lighting found on many high-end cars". They meant 6000k. I see that a lot in reference to light temperatures--they confuse the k for "thousand" :)

Wow! The cops won't have any trouble getting your plate # when they pull you over for your uber-bright parking lights :Big Laugh:

Thanks for the pix!

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Oh okay, yeah, a lot of people/sites do that LoL I have gotten use to it.

Yeah before the LEDs I would get shit from the cops. Always would get the spot light flashed at me. I have had them do a U turn, follow me, then drive up next to me and get flashed. Hasn't happened since I have put the LEDs in though lol

No problem.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh okay, yeah, a lot of people/sites do that LoL I have gotten use to it.

Yeah before the LEDs I would get shit from the cops. Always would get the spot light flashed at me. I have had them do a U turn, follow me, then drive up next to me and get flashed. Hasn't happened since I have put the LEDs in though lol

No problem.

You got hassled *before* the LEDs? What were they hassling you over? "Sorry son, those dull OEM bulbs just don't have enough bling for this whip. Get some LEDs before we impound it!" :laughing1:

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
LoL I would get pulled over and they would give me dumb reasons...not stopping long, going over the speed limit >10. Always would be at night, guess they appreciate not having to squint to read my plates now LoL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia