LED Hi/Lo Beam Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
28946401-6373-4A68-9B25-919B197B7AAB.jpeg 712F7592-7ACF-4AA0-ACE3-7CB780E89234.jpeg I ordered some Sealight LED bulbs off Amazon to replace the stock ones (H13). Installation wasn’t too bad. I found some videos on YouTube on how to go from the engine bay instead of taking off the grille, unbolting the headlight housing etc. They look great but one shines low (normal I guess for low beams) and the other high. But when I switch to high beams, the orientation reverses and again one high and one low. After looking at the reflector I’m thinking one side of the LEDs should face straight up and the other set down. So essentially oriented up and down. As it sits the LEDs are at an angle so depending on what setting it either shines out and up or down and in. If you look closely at my pic you can see where the bulb rests inside the housing and the LEDs are oriented at an angle. Hard to see. Just curious if anyone has a set that they could look at and see if there’s sit at an angle or up and down. Also after installing these and a set of fog lights my dash is saying to service the stabilitrak and traction control. Anyone know if these are related? I figure tomorrow I’ll put the stock ones back in and see if it’s from the LED bulbs. Thank you for any advice.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheaper led bulbs can definitely be oriented incorrectly and it does make a difference. my 00 civic i bought came with led bulbs the high beams are completely useless. my 13 accord has a set out of a subaru(freebies) for the high beams. when i first put them in the highbeams were pointless until i realized they had the ability to be "focused" i geuss. those have a set screw if i loosen i can rotate the led while its in the headlight assembly.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really recommend watching some of the YouTube videos by headlight revolution.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The LED chips should be facing left and right, NOT up and down, and certainly not at an angle.

OP
OP
A

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheaper led bulbs can definitely be oriented incorrectly and it does make a difference. my 00 civic i bought came with led bulbs the high beams are completely useless. my 13 accord has a set out of a subaru(freebies) for the high beams. when i first put them in the highbeams were pointless until i realized they had the ability to be "focused" i geuss. those have a set screw if i loosen i can rotate the led while its in the headlight assembly.
I’m gonna pull the bulbs tonight and put the oem ones back in to see if it solves the error message. If so im going to send them back and go with an HID set up. I emailed the manufacturer and haven’t heard back from them. Oh well.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I’m gonna pull the bulbs tonight and put the oem ones back in to see if it solves the error message. If so im going to send them back and go with an HID set up. I emailed the manufacturer and haven’t heard back from them. Oh well.

The bulbs should have nothing to do with the Stabilitrac and TC.

Could be ABS brake related or, depending on which suspension you have, it could be something with the shocks/struts. Could also be caused by a misfire in the engine. Or about a million other things, except for lights... lol

You would need to check for codes to be sure.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i didn't really notice that part of your message. led bulbs wont have anything to do with the stabiltrac and such. only thing i was referencing was some led bulbs are not adjustable and should be for light output direction. only thing i could think is some vehicles dont like led bulbs and can cause other things to light up for no reason.

OP
OP
A

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bulbs should have nothing to do with the Stabilitrac and TC.

Could be ABS brake related or, depending on which suspension you have, it could be something with the shocks/struts. Could also be caused by a misfire in the engine. Or about a million other things, except for lights... lol

You would need to check for codes to be sure.
Weird thing is my check engine light came on, then the stabilitrak and traction control error went away and then a day later the check engine light went off.

OP
OP
A

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya i didn't really notice that part of your message. led bulbs wont have anything to do with the stabiltrac and such. only thing i was referencing was some led bulbs are not adjustable and should be for light output direction. only thing i could think is some vehicles dont like led bulbs and can cause other things to light up for no reason.
It sure did it on my wife’s 2012 Outback. I changed all the bulbs to LEDs and one day had all kinds of light come on. After digging through a Subaru Outback forum I found other outback owners had the same problem. Went back to stock and never had an issue again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout