LED Bulbs Questions?.?.?.?.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running LEDs for the low beam? Recommendations?

I would NOT run LED in the low beams. You won't be able to see anything b/c the light will not be projected far at all. For low beam you can either do a retrofit with projectors and HIDs (best option), HIDs without projector (brighter than stock but many people don't like this) or go with something like Silverstars.

Reaction score
I just purchased and installed the interior lights and the license plate and puddle exteriors. For my reverse lights I got a couple CREE bulbs which are awesome and I highly recommend them. On the superbrightled website, it shows the map and dome lights as the same festoon bulb but the cargo area as a wedge base. For my particular vehicle (2008 Yukon XL) this is actually incorrect. The cargo light uses the same festoon bulb as all the other interior lights. So if anyone is ordering these lights, they should buy 7 of the 212-2 Festoon bulbs, not 6.
Another issue I ran into was for the puddle lights. I got the same bulbs as the license plate lights but they dont seem to fit quite right. I think it might actually need a different bulb but I'm not sure what. If anyone know, let me know!

OP
OP
wht06shee

wht06shee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just ordered drl, front turn signal, resistors, license plate, puddle lights, reverse. when i get em ill see how it all goes!!!! :happy160:

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just ordered drl, front turn signal, resistors, license plate, puddle lights, reverse. when i get em ill see how it all goes!!!! :happy160:

What type of bulb did you get for the drl? Regular LED bulbs will blow pretty quick in the drl, others have had great success running dual circuit bulbs though.

glockz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would NOT run LED in the low beams. You won't be able to see anything b/c the light will not be projected far at all. For low beam you can either do a retrofit with projectors and HIDs (best option), HIDs without projector (brighter than stock but many people don't like this) or go with something like Silverstars.

Thanks! I will look into those options.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased and installed the interior lights and the license plate and puddle exteriors. For my reverse lights I got a couple CREE bulbs which are awesome and I highly recommend them. On the superbrightled website, it shows the map and dome lights as the same festoon bulb but the cargo area as a wedge base. For my particular vehicle (2008 Yukon XL) this is actually incorrect. The cargo light uses the same festoon bulb as all the other interior lights. So if anyone is ordering these lights, they should buy 7 of the 212-2 Festoon bulbs, not 6.
Another issue I ran into was for the puddle lights. I got the same bulbs as the license plate lights but they dont seem to fit quite right. I think it might actually need a different bulb but I'm not sure what. If anyone know, let me know!

I had no problem with using those bulbs... they were interchangeable. Which ones did you buy?

What 7th light are you talking about?

Reaction score
I had no problem with using those bulbs... they were interchangeable. Which ones did you buy?

What 7th light are you talking about?

I purchased these guys: http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...194-led-bulb-15-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/910/

While they do indeed work, they're too loose and easily fall out of the socket. I've ordered two of the following to replace them: http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

The base looks closer to the stock bulbs so I'm hoping they'll fit better.

In regards to the 7th light, it might only be on the XL/Suburban/ESV. It's a 7th light in the rear cargo area. According to the superbrightleds website, it shows a wedge-based bulb for the cargo area but there is no such housing for them. Instead it's just another of the festoon bulbs just like the others.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased these guys: http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...194-led-bulb-15-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/910/

While they do indeed work, they're too loose and easily fall out of the socket. I've ordered two of the following to replace them: http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

The base looks closer to the stock bulbs so I'm hoping they'll fit better.

In regards to the 7th light, it might only be on the XL/Suburban/ESV. It's a 7th light in the rear cargo area. According to the superbrightleds website, it shows a wedge-based bulb for the cargo area but there is no such housing for them. Instead it's just another of the festoon bulbs just like the others.

I ordered those same wedge bulbs and they worked fine... weird.

Unless I'm blind there definitely is no 7th light on the regular length

Reaction score
I ordered those same wedge bulbs and they worked fine... weird.

Unless I'm blind there definitely is no 7th light on the regular length

Yeah they definately don't fit right in my mirrors. I'll take some pictures when I make the swap out. I also ordered some SMD interior leds from iJDMtoy.com to compare to the superbrightLEDs. I'll do a write up on them once they're received.

As to that 7th light, it must be just on the Suburban/XL rather than the regular length. What's sort of weird about it is that it only contains one lightbulb whereas all the others have two bulbs... Anyways, once I do the switchout I'll take some photos for comparison and toss them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Yank