LED Brake Light Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see not many have seen the wonders of a plastic welder, albeit the good one's are a little pricey

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about this failing again that’s why I covered the repair with a small piece of electrical tape and globbed Dynaflex sealant over it. Definitely waterproof and able to handle four seasons. Plus I can scrap it off if I run into issues again (like me repairing this repair). Seems like the best repair would be to either use a humongous glob of solder or preferably a small copper wire so it can handle the flex that is going on in there. What a weird design.

justinb181

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did this tonight. I pulled the drivers side unit and it appears to have already have had a repair that failed. Seems like you have to either jump it with a wire or use a much more rigid jumper than just soldering the cracks. I suppose globbing the hell out if it with solder would work.

I used a dremel tool with a grinding burr. This was 100x easier than a “hot knife”.
I'll be tackling this soon, what grinding burr did you use? I was thinking about using a cutting wheel but worried it may cut too deep.

Last edited:

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be tackling this soon, what grinding burr did you use? I was thinking about using a cutting wheel but worried it may cut too deep.
I had a carbide one laying in my toolbox and used that one with my Dremel. It is cone shaped. Just take your time and have a firm grip on the tool and light fixture.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this tonight. I pulled the drivers side unit and it appears to have already have had a repair that failed. Seems like you have to either jump it with a wire or use a much more rigid jumper than just soldering the cracks. I suppose globbing the hell out if it with solder would work.

I used a dremel tool with a grinding burr. This was 100x easier than a “hot knife”.

If you're in there you may as well do both. Solder to bridge the gap and restore the structural integrity of the metal, but then add a secondary "fail safe" flexible copper wire for good measure too. Fix one cry once?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts