Leaking drivers side quarter glass on a Tahoe 2 door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 2 door Tahoe.
I have a leak that I think I've traced to the top seam of the drivers side rear quarter glass.
Called an auto glass company and they were not interested in trying to remove and reset that large side glass; claimed they were not willing to take the risk it wouldn't break on removal

Before I start calling around blindly, I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or success/horror stories in re-setting this large glass panel.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks
Tbruz

Last edited:

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I’m just curious...is the window misaligned thereby letting water in? Or is the upper glass run damaged thereby letting water in? Or maybe a little of both?

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clearer, this is the drivers side rear quarter glass on a two door, very large glass. So no misalignment of glass or damage to glass run is possible as its a fixed glass

Thinking I may have to remove the headliner to track it down.
Will try the flowable silicone along the upper edge to see if that helps.
Thanks
Tbruz

UPDATE: PPG glass company will remove, inspect and re-set the glass for $150. They are recommending having a replacement glass($350) on hand just n case of breakage during removal.
UPDATE 2: Re-set work completed on 2/26; new glass was used due to the rubber seal breaking off of the original glass. Total cost to me $100. There was a definite separation visible between the adhesive and the body. Tech was confident that was the source of the leak. After a full weekend of heavy rain in southern NH, I can report that the re-seal worked!

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbruz- take a look at roofline side of gasket that should be laying flat on roof. If it is not that is your source. A wash out with brakekleen and a plastic nozzle then reseal with urethane when dry and press flat. Can clean up edges nice with a Small amount of mineral spirits on a rag.Fixed for $25. for 3-5 years.

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exp500 - Thanks for the suggestion. That top gasket along the roofline is not where the watertight seal is created. While it may divert water away from the glass to body adhesive seal; Its more of a cosmetic gap "filler". Was easy to visualize today when the glass was out of the body opening.

iCajun

Reaction score
If you have a roof rack you might want to check in the area of the screws that hold it on.

Rudyr25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1997 2 door Tahoe.
I have a leak that I think I've traced to the top seam of the drivers side rear quarter glass.
Called an auto glass company and they were not interested in trying to remove and reset that large side glass; claimed they were not willing to take the risk it wouldn't break on removal

Before I start calling around blindly, I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or success/horror stories in re-setting this large glass panel.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks
Tbruz
I also have a 99 two door with the same issue but on both sides. I took it to glass company and they basically told me the same thing to buy an extra glass incase of breakage. I'm gonna order the glass and take it back in and hopefully it fixes my issue.

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clearer, its the rubber seal that breaks not the glass itself. Unfortunately you cannot get the seal separately from the glass. Check into your insurance coverage as well as I was able to get them to pick up all but $100 of the replacement costs.
Tbruz

beto7679

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To be clearer, its the rubber seal that breaks not the glass itself. Unfortunately you cannot get the seal separately from the glass. Check into your insurance coverage as well as I was able to get them to pick up all but $100 of the replacement costs.
Tbruz
How did you get insurance to cover part of it, what coverage do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC