Leak when it Rains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About three years ago, I had Safelite replace my windshield after a rock cracked it. Well it took them about three times to get the damn thing to seal. Fast forward a year or so and I started noticing water dripping from under the blower motor area when it rains hard. I can cut the blower on and hear wind blowing through water. I cleaned out the blower box and such but had no problems with the AC draining before. Is this likely a cowl issue, or is the windshield not sealing.

OP
OP

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you refering to the screws that hold the black plastic "cowl" pieces down?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
that or the lower panel. It evades me at the moment. Forgot that it could be the water deflector that goes over the blower inlet or any sealing that goes into it. have you removed the blower to inspect inside?

OP
OP

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I removed the blower motor and did the air box clean out that is a sticky on this board. I guess im gonna have to remove all that stuff and just start looking while I dump water on it. I have contacted safelite about it but have yet to hear back.

Yukon96

Reaction score
Hopefully you've solve your issue by now. If not, take a good look at the wiper cowl on that side to see if any screws are missing. Next, remove the wiper arms and remove all screws from the cowl. (I found a couple of screws stripped. Possibly causing leakage.), lift cowl up and silicone all screw holes and any factory caulk joints that look cracked. Use slightly larger screws if there are any stripped. That worked for me.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
i would bet on the defelector for the fresh air inlet as well. pull the cowl its on the pass side. i worked for safelite for 7 years and if u think it is something they mess'd up ( mistakes do happen ) call the main # 1-800-800-ASAP if they messd it up safelite WILL fix it no matter what. with that being said its prob just the deflector for the fresh air vent due to the age of the rig. good luck

OP
OP

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they messed it up, it just never happened until it was replaced. I haven't had a chance to inspect the cowl area yet, but as soon as I can I will. I was leaning windshield due to what I perceive as worsening wind noise over the past year or so.

blackhawk17

Reaction score
I have an '05 with this issue, and never had the windshield replaced. Bought it in '09 and had the problem as long as I've had it I guess, I just didn't realize it for a long time because it's garage kept. Never fixed it since it does stay in the garage mostly, but if we get a heavy rain and its outside it soaks the carpet on the passenger side and I have to air the whole car out so it doesn't mold and stink us out. it's about time I fix it so I looked it up on here. For a stop-gap I have a dish towel shoved up where the floorpan and the blower casing meet- it helps, and I just change out the towel. I'll be trying these suggestions... Thanks.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 with this issue, and never had the windshield replaced. Bought it in '09 and had the problem as long as I've had it I guess, I just didn't realize it for a long time because it's garage kept. Never fixed it since it does stay in the garage mostly, but if we get a heavy rain and its outside it soaks the carpet on the passenger side and I have to air the whole car out so it doesn't mold and stink us out. it's about time I fix it so I looked it up on here. For a stop-gap I have a dish towel shoved up where the floorpan and the blower casing meet- it helps, and I just change out the towel. I'll be trying these suggestions... Thanks.

5 years and 1 post.. Welcome old timer.. lol:happy160:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts