Largest Tire on Stock Suspension Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving on one tire that is a lot shorter (or taller) can reek havoc on a drivetrain. Not necessarily sure that is the case here, though.

1671403769660.png

About a 1.6" difference in diameter. For revs per mile, the larger 285/65/20 tire, there is going to be about a 4.5% difference in rotational speed.

I just don't know what the threshold is for the stability control system.

LeeMc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So im looking to get Nitto Ridge Grappler tires but wondering how tall I can go without major rubbing and even width. I have the 20' OEM rims. Can i get away with say 285x65x20? I dont mind a little rubbing or if i have to do very minor trimming. Ideally no trimming lol.
Unfortunately, the stock Z71 tires are as large as you can go without and rubbing on stock rims. The challenge with the rubbing is that there is a metal bracket behind the wheel well liner that would need to be cut out to provide more space.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the stock Z71 tires are as large as you can go without and rubbing on stock rims. The challenge with the rubbing is that there is a metal bracket behind the wheel well liner that would need to be cut out to provide more space.
You sure? What about the guy that posted he runs 33x12.5’s with no rub?

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get each their own imagination but someone please help me…..not this specific case but a general question……. This scenario willl be part of the question but also others.

Why would someone pay $60,70,80,90K for a luxury themed SUV and the first question is……..What size tires will fit in the wheel well without having to trim the fender well? Why should that even be a thou for this price range of vehicle?

I could get previous generations where probably a cash car or daily driver but seriously a MY 2021-2023.

Again not a specific pro/con but a general questio.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get each their own imagination but someone please help me…..not this specific case but a general question……. This scenario willl be part of the question but also others.

Why would someone pay $60,70,80,90K for a luxury themed SUV and the first question is……..What size tires will fit in the wheel well without having to trim the fender well? Why should that even be a thou for this price range of vehicle?

I could get previous generations where probably a cash car or daily driver but seriously a MY 2021-2023.

The correct answer to that is simply because thats what they want to do.

Its all about personal preference and opinion.

OP
OP
T

Theiobot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So threw on Nitto 285x65x20 onto this pig and they def rub a little bit on the inside back corner at 50-75% wheel spin. Nothing big just rubs the felt and with minor trimming wont be an issue I just left it as is. Zero issues offroad or under suspension travel but they def do not clear even in Off Road hight setting. But the truck looks like an off road vehicle now for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 96

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can run 285-60r20 on stock wheels with no rubbing.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/65 are waaay to big, nothing to do with clearance. ABS and stability/traction control are not going to operate as designed with a 1.5+" bigger diameter. standard deviation max is typically half inch. You'll likely not discover this problem until you need ABS or traction control, and by then it could be too late. Good luck getting your insurance to not drop you and refuse coverage if they discover you've caused your safety systems to malfunction in a crash.

jgraves

Reaction score

It's about getting the vehicle you want and enjoying the modifications / personalization for the full duration of ownership. Every time I've added a modification to one of my vehicles after several years of ownership, my first though is "why didn't I do this upon delivery". I ordered my truck, tractor, motorcycle and cargo trailer from the manufacturer and all had permanent modifications (holes drilled, wiring altered, welding, etc) within the first couple months of ownership. As delivered is just a starting point to create what the manufacturer won't offer. Planning modifications was part of deciding which factory options to order on my Yukon.

Jeff