Largest Tire on Stock Suspension Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theiobot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So im looking to get Nitto Ridge Grappler tires but wondering how tall I can go without major rubbing and even width. I have the 20' OEM rims. Can i get away with say 285x65x20? I dont mind a little rubbing or if i have to do very minor trimming. Ideally no trimming lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 62

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You go through this thread yet?..

I think 285/65/20’s would definitely be a tight fit stock. No doubt doable with some trimming.

This guy claims his 33x12.5 graps fit, no rub…

3FF4175E-6F9B-4CD6-AEDE-ABC78FF54172.jpeg

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question is what is the largest tire that can fit in the spare tire location.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not buying 5 lol, spare will be just that, good enough to get me home.
Will the drivetrain be able to cope or remain undamaged with a spare that has a significantly different diameter and circumference?

OP
OP
T

Theiobot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will the drivetrain be able to cope or remain undamaged with a spare that has a significantly different diameter and circumference?
Are you implying that a stock full size spare on an OEM spare rim vs a lightly oversized tire is going to make any difference in the drivability of the truck or performance? Because last time i checked 80lbs of groceries in my trunk didnt effect a damn thing just like whats hanging off the rear undercarriage.

OP
OP
T

Theiobot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Didnt have my coffee... let me try this again. Most cars have donuts not full sized spares. The OEM spare rim is also different than my 20" black so weight difference there also. With TC off im sure limping it home will be of zero issue and do no damage to the drivetrain but I see your point. Then again I am far from a gear head so I am sure someone smarter than me can chime in.

OP
OP
T

Theiobot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You go through this thread yet?..

I think 285/65/20’s would definitely be a tight fit stock. No doubt doable with some trimming.

This guy claims his 33x12.5 graps fit, no rub…

View attachment 387505
Can you link me to his thread or profile so i can ask?

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you implying that a stock full size spare on an OEM spare rim vs a lightly oversized tire is going to make any difference in the drivability of the truck or performance? Because last time i checked 80lbs of groceries in my trunk didnt effect a damn thing just like whats hanging off the rear undercarriage.

Didnt have my coffee... let me try this again. Most cars have donuts not full sized spares. The OEM spare rim is also different than my 20" black so weight difference there also. With TC off im sure limping it home will be of zero issue and do no damage to the drivetrain but I see your point. Then again I am far from a gear head so I am sure someone smarter than me can chime in.

I think there are quite a few spare tire configurations:
1. No spare tire at all.
2. "Skinnier" spare tire - same overall diameter as regular factory tire/wheel but different width (different capacities, speed limits, etc.)
3. Full size spare

Different size left/right tire on rear axle:

I think if you were in 2HI and had a completely open rear differential, there isn't too much to worry about. At most, traction control would engage earlier due to the innate difference in rotational speeds. Other than slightly increased rear brake pad wear, I don't really see an issue.

I'd be interested in seeing how a truck with the eLSD would handle this situation and if there's any significant wear for the clutches in that LSD.

Now keep in mind that OEMs develop these LSDs, AWD/4WD drive trains to tolerate some differences in diameter. For example, I don't think a worn tire vs a new tire of the same factory size is going to damage the system - I would imagine the system can tolerate these very minor differences in diameters.

I think it could be an issue if you have tires that are significantly different in diameters (and this rolling circumference). What exactly threshold is - I don't know.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Driving on one tire that is a lot shorter (or taller) can reek havoc on a drivetrain. Not necessarily sure that is the case here, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh