Lamin-X Tail Light Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had it for over a year and no complaints from law enforcement etc. I asked the applicator about it and he says there is no current law to dictate tinting of rear lights in our state vs say tinting of windows.... And mine are fairly dark...
For the most part, I believe as long as you can clearly see an illuminated red light shining out the back of your taillights, law enforcement won't bother you.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s actually gotten worse today after these photos. Two big wrinkles on right tail light. Looks like

IMG_4744.jpeg

IMG_4746.jpeg

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg
This photo shows how the tint kit doesn’t wrap around to the inside of the tail light. Overall it barely covers the actual lens where light can come through. Above pictures also show the gap at the bottom and wrinkles that won’t stay down with heat and reapplication.

Here are the issues:
- Material is too thick, does not stretch well. Although the instructions say not to stretch the material, and that the material can be stretched with a hair dryer, it is impossible to get the material to lay flat without some significant stretching. I have some big wrinkles in the photos attached. Wrinkles are pretty big today.

- The tail light film cutout is too small. The cutout does not cover the entire clear lens portion. You need at least another half inch of area all the way around to cover the cleared lens portion of the tail light. I have an about a .25” gap at the bottom. Also the cutout does not wrap around to the inside of the tail light.

I emailed Lamin-X today. I would have called but had the kids and errands. Lamin-X has been good in the past, we’ll see what they say. Unfortunately I would not recommend this product, sorry if I’m product bashing here but want to save some people $75 unless you got it on sale like me for around $60.

Last edited:

Punteh

Reaction score
It’s actually gotten worse today after these photos. Two big wrinkles on right tail light. Looks like

View attachment 405377

View attachment 405378

View attachment 405379

View attachment 405380
This photo shows how the tint kit doesn’t wrap around to the inside of the tail light. Overall it barely covers the actual lens where light can come through. Above pictures also show the gap at the bottom and wrinkles that won’t stay down with heat and reapplication.

Here are the issues:
- Material is too thick, does not stretch well. Although the instructions say not to stretch the material, and that the material can be stretched with a hair dryer, it is impossible to get the material to lay flat without some significant stretching. I have some big wrinkles in the photos attached. Wrinkles are pretty big today.

- The tail light film cutout is too small. The cutout does not cover the entire clear lens portion. You need at least another half inch of area all the way around to cover the cleared lens portion of the tail light. I have an about a .25” gap at the bottom. Also the cutout does not wrap around to the inside of the tail light.

I emailed Lamin-X today. I would have called but had the kids and errands. Lamin-X has been good in the past, we’ll see what they say. Unfortunately I would not recommend this product, sorry if I’m product bashing here but want to save some people $75 unless you got it on sale like me for around $60.

I installed the Lamin-X film on my Yukon and have similar issues as you. I don't know why a custom cut kit wouldn't actually fit what it's made for. I'm interested to see what Lamin-X says to you.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to do these right, is to take them off and give them to a professional shop to spray the interior of the lights with tint. It’s the only thing that holds up looks professional day after day and never deteriorates.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Lamin-X film on my Yukon and have similar issues as you. I don't know why a custom cut kit wouldn't actually fit what it's made for. I'm interested to see what Lamin-X says to you.

They are closed ever the weekend so…

I have some of their clear PPF in the door cups and that material was not as thick and pretty easy to do. I think the tint is too thick. I doubt they would give me a refund. I’d be open to try it again if they sent me a new set.

Punteh

Reaction score
This is from the Yukon product page:

***DUE TO COMPLEX CURVATURE THIS PRECUT TAIL LIGHT IS A TWO PIECE KIT WITH A SEAM AT THE CORNER. PLEASE SEE OUR UNVIRSAL SHEETS FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE.***

Perhaps they should change the word "seam" to "gap."

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Trent88 @Punteh

I sent Lamin-X all the photos and a detailed email of what happened. They said that the template is really hard to fit due to the curves and that they could make the template bigger for me or just send me universal sheets. Lamin-X is sending me a set of universal sheets to give it another go. I think I am also going to order the Vvivid stuff off Amazon and try that first to see how it comes out. I also picked up a Kobalt heat gun from Lowe's over the weekend for this next attempt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman