L94 Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Escalade with RPM dependent knocking (video attached) - 293k, no codes, oil pressure around 30 at idle. Pulled valve covers, all the rockers move, so I don't think its a collapsed lifter, pushrods are straight, looking for next step to diagnose/repair.

I'm not familiar with pushrod engines, I've only ever torn down BMW DOHC engines, so looking for advice so I'm not wasting my time doing anything unnecessary

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like a lifter to me. Does it actually run OK? If so, maybe try some ATF in the oil and see if that frees up a sticky lifter. 1 quart should work added in.

But, honestly if it were mine, I wouldn't run it anymore. You may have a wiped out cam too by this point. Either way you have a big job ahead of you.

Others who've lived through this will chime in as well.

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a wiped out cam too by this point. Either way you have a big job ahead of you.

It runs fine, it felt like it was a little sluggish when I was in stop and go traffic, buy that could just be cause I was in stop and go traffic. When cruising I didn't notice anything negative. I'm about to pull the cam to inspect it. Just really can't afford the downtime of a full rebuild ‍♂️

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like noisy lifter to me, my 03 did it for 10+ years off and on it has almost 300k on it and still runs fine
it did it consistently for 5 years or so at startup but would quiet up after a couple minutes then come back if left idling for a period of time
then one day I did a oil change and it stopped completely for a couple years then it went back to same old routine
you could try some snake oil treatment and see if it goes away before digging into it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs fine, it felt like it was a little sluggish when I was in stop and go traffic, buy that could just be cause I was in stop and go traffic. When cruising I didn't notice anything negative. I'm about to pull the cam to inspect it. Just really can't afford the
It runs fine, it felt like it was a little sluggish when I was in stop and go traffic, buy that could just be cause I was in stop and go traffic. When cruising I didn't notice anything negative. I'm about to pull the cam to inspect it. Just really can't afford the downtime of a full rebuild ‍♂️
I'd maybe do what @Doubeleive stated as a first try. Pulling the cam is no small job. Have you already torn down the top of the motor?

OP
OP
J

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an exhaust leak that sounds like that, swore it was a lifter but I was wrong!

I changed both gaskets and installed ARP studs (I plan to install headers after this nonsense, so I figured I'd use the hardware now)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879