Unknown Lifter Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the driver side head today and replaced the cyl 5 and 7 lifters, the forward lifter for cyl 5 was definitely collapsed, and the rear cyl 5, and both the cyl 7 lifters seemed off so I tossed new ones in I have had soaking for a few days. The cyl 1 and 3 lifters were fine and tight, no wear or strange marks or anything, cleaned all the rods and rockers and the head itself and used all new felpro bolts and a new gaskets on everything. Looking down at the cam everything looked fine on that. Ran it down the road and back, maybe 10 miles and no hammering knocking sound at all, just the regular Chev chatter. So if you see the Northern Auto DOD delete kit for 350 bucks and think its a deal, it might not be.

Glad you got it worked out, new things can be bad. I stick with GM OE or their suppliers for internal parts.

OP
OP
R

RockGlock86

Reaction score
I just looked back through the Northern website and some parts of their numerous DOD delete kits are listed as GM or OE but the kit I bought doesn't tell much about it and just states 16 roller lifters. Looking back I would have just bought individual parts and pieced it together, I was initially concerned as there are numerous generations of 5.3 and assumed with a kit I would get a drop in solution without the mental heavy lifting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent